Mother's Milk review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jan 1, 1989
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Mother's Milk

I love the Chili's and I firmly believe that this is one of their better albums (they are all awesome) but I love the old Chili funk with punk influence. Frusciante mentions Hendrix as one of his influencers and it really comes out in this album (they cover 3 of his songs on the edition with bonus tracks). In my opinion this is Frusciante and Flea at their best. This is great stuff and I think Frusciante was pretty young (18-20) and I heard he practiced 15 hours a day.

The lyrics on this CD aren't the highlight but they are nonetheless very good. Some people I know described the lyrics to 'Good Time Boys' as corny, but I somewhat disagree. The lyrics fit well with the rest of the music, I love the intense rap vocals. I heard that Anthony Keidis was not as talented of a singer back then but the vocals on the CD rock and today he's awesome live.

All the songs on this album are awesome but some of the more popular ones are 'Good Time Boys', 'Higher Ground', 'Knock Me Down', and 'Stone Cold Bush'. Frusciante's performance is one of his best and IMO rivals Hendrix. If I lost my CD and my music files on my compute were erased I would just borrow it from one of my friends and if they lost their CDs and their computer music files were erased then it would be very unfortunate and I would probably buy it again.

Skadge_101
    dude, what the hell r u smoking?
    digital11
    Good album considering it was Chad Smith's & John Frusciante's first album with the Chili's.  I like it.
    cuige
    Why is review no.4 reviewing "live in Hyde Park"? This is a "mother's Milk" page!
    con job
    justinR951
    i have a copy of this cd being sent to me... i have high hopes for it... hope its got the same sound as bloood sugar sek magik.. i'll be one happy mother ****er... haha
    Skadge_101
    this is gonna b controversial but... better than bssm maybe? thats what ive found
    djnugent
    best punk rock album of all time! too bad punk rock is ****ing dog shit nowadays. and frusciante is as good now as he was then. ever listened to "readymade"? no?! well then stfu! this album is one of the best,if not THE best chilis album.john frusciante is(oh, sorry.....WAS) a god on guitar...he's wastin away now to nothin...its sad[/quote]
    Bunyip
    People may say that John Fruciante is wasting away but I think the reason he doesnt put the most technical stuff in their albums anymore is because its not always the best thing for the song. John Fruciante is a songwritter and im sure he is the type of songwritter that would drop the guitar completely and get on another instrument entirely if he felt the song called for it. I think that it is a greater tallent to hold back your skill. A wise musician know when not to play.
    Feverrush
    Skadge_101 wrote: con job wrote: this album is one of the best,if not THE best chilis album.john frusciante is(oh, sorry.....WAS) a god on guitar...he's wastin away now to nothin...its sad dude, what the hell r u smoking?
    obviously not weed because then he would hear frusciante is still a god.