Off The Map [DVD] review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Dec 18, 2001
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 4
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Off The Map [DVD]

The Red Hot Chili Peppers have one of the best and distinctive sounds out there. Hardcore funk rock mixed with mellow soft rock with a touch of punk thrown in? That only seems to describe the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I love Flea's bass, I love John Frusciante's guitar, I love Chad Smith's drumming, and I love Anthony Kiedis' vocals. They're a great all around band, and this shows especially in live performances. Unlike the "Live At Slane Castle" DVD, this shows some of their early work done live, too; so you really get the best of everything here.

Content — 10
Off The Map's strong point is content. It's a live concert DVD, and the best of any RHCP DVD in my opinion - live or not. It doesn't have any work off By the way on it because it was released before By The Way, but put that aside and you have an overall magnificence. Me And My Friends, Skinny Sweaty Man, Blackeyed Blonde - you got your old songs. Under The Bridge, I Could Have Lied, Sir Psycho Sexy, Suck My Kiss, Give It Away and more - you got your BSSM songs. Californication, Right On Time, Around The World, Scar Tissue, and more - you got your Californication songs. You get one of John's best solo songs in "Usually Just A T-Shirt #3". It's got their cover songs and several inbetween song jam sessions. It's one of the better setlists out there. But content is more than just the setlist. It is also extras - and this thing has all you could ask for from a music DVD, really. Interviews and backstage footage. 5 points, through and through.

Production Quality — 4
This is where "Live At Slane" kicks "Off The Map"'s raw ass. The camera can get shaky in this DVD it's not the most stylish piece of production. It's very dark, so things aren't always clear. And I think it might've been recorded with an old school VHS camera. If it wasn't, than it certainly wasn't recorded with a high tech camera. Sometimes the view will get fuzzy and blurry. The sound is crystal clear (although the bass sometimes isn't primetime material), but the vision and camera work takes some getting used to. A sad piece of work on an otherwise perfect DVD.

I know I said "Live At Slane" was the best RHCP DVD out there in my review of that, but that was said in the point of time when I wasn't willing to adjust to Off The Map's below-average camera play. Now that I've gotten used to it, the power of the setlist, extras, and the ever standing RHCP live joke trademarks (with my new favorite mohawk joke), this is my favorite. If it was stolen, I'd buy it again. Better than Live At Slane? It's really whether your willing to put up with a below average video quality. If you can watch home videos without criticing your camera, this DVD is better than Slane. If you need something that uses Matrix effects and gives a clear view, buy Slane. My personal favorite is Off The Map, if only for the much much better setlist.

Eamon Fethers
    i've got this dvd, and as much as i luv the chili's the sounds wasn't exactly fantastic, i thought the worst thing about the dvd was anthony's vocals, but still when he's singin well else where he's amazing. john is again fantastic as always on the dvd, he is a magician on a guitar! the behind the scenes kinda stuff is good and really gives u an idea of how people prepare before a big show
    RhcpGurl
    ive got live at slane dvd & last gang in town & greatest hits, im thinking of buying this? does it show the band when theyre offstage?
    Skadge_101
    ^yes it does also, its a great dvd, and hilarious when the foo fighters drop stuff on chad! anthony is pissing himself! watch it!