Off The Map [DVD] Review

artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers date: 10/19/2004 category: compact discs
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Off The Map [DVD]
Released: December 18, 2001
Off the Map is the first concert home video since 1991 from one of rock's greatest live experiences, the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It is also the band's first concert DVD--the only way to witness the funk-funk-rockmetal-rap musical orgy of one of today's most popular bands.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 4
 8.8
 8.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Off The Map [DVD] Reviewed by: UtBDan, on october 19, 2004

Sound: The Red Hot Chili Peppers have one of the best and distinctive sounds out there. Hardcore funk rock mixed with mellow soft rock with a touch of punk thrown in? That only seems to describe the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I love Flea's bass, I love John Frusciante's guitar, I love Chad Smith's drumming, and I love Anthony Kiedis' vocals. They're a great all around band, and this shows especially in live performances. Unlike the "Live At Slane Castle" DVD, this shows some of their early work done live, too; so you really get the best of everything here. // 10

Overall Impression: I know I said "Live At Slane" was the best RHCP DVD out there in my review of that, but that was said in the point of time when I wasn't willing to adjust to Off The Map's below-average camera play. Now that I've gotten used to it, the power of the setlist, extras, and the ever standing RHCP live joke trademarks (with my new favorite mohawk joke), this is my favorite. If it was stolen, I'd buy it again. Better than Live At Slane? It's really whether your willing to put up with a below average video quality. If you can watch home videos without criticing your camera, this DVD is better than Slane. If you need something that uses Matrix effects and gives a clear view, buy Slane. My personal favorite is Off The Map, if only for the much much better setlist. // 10

Comments