One Hot Minute review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 12, 1995
Red Hot Chili Peppers: One Hot Minute

I must start this review by telling you that I am a major John Frusciante fan - hell, I idolise the man and usually us Frusciante-heads tend to shun One Hot Minute because, well, he didn't play guitar on it. But, I decided to buy it, just to give the whole Dave Navarro-era Chili Peppers a try (I think any true fan should). I can't say that it's my favourite Chilis album (I can't help it, I'm biased, sue me) but there's nothing wrong with it at all. It's got a heavier, more mature sound due to the circumstances at the time they wrote and recorded it. Personally, I think it carves a nice little roadway to the outskirts of Californication territory I.e it is mature, but still keeps a funky vibe with some songs, like One Big Mob for instance. There are the heavier songs then like Deep Kick and My Friends. Pea is short and sweet and Aeroplane is quite laid back and mellow.

Lyrically this album is brilliant. The lyrics highlight the feeling in the band at the time after what had happened. The songs with the heavier lyrics include Deep Kick and My Friends ("My friends are so distressed/And standing on the brink of emptiness"). Pea is about how being or feeling small isn't always a bad thing "Big and tough and macho you can kick my ass/So fucking what". Tearjkerker is written about Kurt Cobain. But also with these heavy lyrics come the lighter ones reminiscent of BloodSugrSexMagik "Back and forth my body's jerking/Will to thrill will not stop working" and "Another go in the parking lot/Frewak the cheek on your hotspot." I was very impressed by the maturity and truth of the lyrics on this album and Anthony's singing is beautiful.

It's not my personal favourite Chilis album as I said before, but it's definitely worth a listen. I was in a bit of a dilema when I bought it, wondering if I was betraying John or something (don't ask, I'm weird ok) but then I decided "Hey, you know, just give it a go ok, Anthony, Flea and Chad gave Dave Navarro a chance, so why can't I?" and that's my advice to any Chilis fans because you don't truly know a band if you don't listen to all their stuff from different times and different frames of mind and stuff. It's like you can't know the Chilis until you listen to the stuff they did with Hillel Slovak and Jack Irons, you know? Every musician that has contributed to this band has left their mark and it's only fair that you give them a try, yes even if you're a Frusciante-head like me. You won't be disappointed with One Hot Minute, it's not like it's a dreadful piece of work or anything, it's quite underrated actually. If this were stolen/lost I would buy it again. Stand out songs for me are: My Friends, Coffee Shop, Tearjerker, Pea and Aeroplane (that's my favourite from it).