One Hot Minute review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 12, 1995
Red Hot Chili Peppers: One Hot Minute

This album is very good, no one can deny that unless they are proclaiming how good the real chili's are. Honestly, I get pissed off with people bagging Navarro, the truth is, he is fantastic and the album is too. Sure he was not a true chili, and he did not take the whole thing very seriously, but that's the drugs talking. Anyway, don't listen to what the f--king critics say when they say it's crap, because it is very good. The truth is, good bands change, and the chili's have cahnged a lot. They've ranged through heavy, acoustic, funk, rock and all other strange aspects to stay fresh, and One Hot Minute is a perfect example of a change for the good. I write this proudly wearing my Red Hot Chili Peppers shirt, and telling whoever read this that this is a f--king good album.

Most of these lyrics are in relevance to what is going on in Kiedis' life at the time, drugs and his friends' crisis. Frusciante is a human skeleton on the verge of death and Kiedis is shooting up after again, the truth is he is having a little bit of a shit time. In 'My Friends', he talks of his friends depressed and distressed, directed to John. Besides his addiction, Kiedis tries to show he doesn't want drugs with 'Aeroplane', "I like pleasure spiked with pain and music is my aeroplane" He's pretty much saying music is better than drugs. His singing is at a stage similar to that of Blood Sugar Sex. It is developing into something that is going to be one of the most infamous voices in the world with the realease of Californication, but for now he's rocking with Flea, Chad and Dave in the wonderful world of alternative music.

Compared to other albums, I would say that it is quite simply different. Most of the songs on it are very good, including the melodic "Aeroplane" and "My Friends" a dedication to Kiedis' suffering friends. Then there are the heavier songs which is what we all need to get from a chili album, like "One Hot Minute" and "One Big Mob". It has those essences of strange, alternative sounds that Dave brings in from Jane's Addiction, Flea just f--king owns the bass, Chad does what he does best, and Kiedis shows us a new Kiedis. It is true that there is something missing with John gone, but just enjoy this shot of Navarro and then John'l come back with Californication, okay?

dgme92
    stadium arcadium IS excellent, but you can't deny, old skool 'Peppers are better. they may have become more commercial, but its still the same band at the end of the day
    Ugene
    One Hot Minute is by far the best album. and people who say "John is the chili peppers" then what were they before he joined? Their new stuff's shit. But this, in a way, is the border of Funky Chili Peppers (Up to BBSM) and crappy Chili Peppers (Cali Onwards). And this is ****ing fantastic