One Hot Minute review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 12, 1995
Red Hot Chili Peppers: One Hot Minute

I know this is fairly late review, considering how old this album is, but recently it has grown on me a lot, and I feel that this is ignored simply because John freakin Frusciante wasn't playing on it, which is extremely unfair. Because behind all the bad times the band were going through during the recording of this, is possibly the best Red Hot Chili Peppers album ever made. It's true there is a darker tone to it, and the listener is hit with this tone straight away. Anthony sings"My tendency for dependency is offending me" in the opening track Warped. However, seconds later the song explodes into dirty, uncharacteristically heavy funk metal. It can be noted a lot of these songs are heavier in nature to anything RHCP have come out with before. Songs like One Hot Minute and Shallow Be Thy Game, and even the outro the originally laid back Transcending, enter territory not familiar to RHCP, maybe only emulated before in Johnny Kick A Hole In The Sky from the album Mother's Milk. Dave Navarro on guitar does nothing spectacular in the way of soloing, and it can be argued that the wah pedal is utilised a bit too much. However, he shows his true guitaring ability in the slower songs My Friends and Tearjerker. This album is also arguably one of Flea's greatest displays of his talent. From the verse slap riff in Aeroplane to the solo in Coffee Shop, you cannot argue that you're listening to a genius at work. The sound on this album is a lot grittier and heavier than people may be used to, but in truth it is a standout album of the '90s.

The lyrics range from extremely dark, to the almost random lyrics the Chili's are known for. In Warped Kiedis sings "So much love/So rare to dare. Afraid of ever being there. Take me home, I need repair, Take me please to anywhere". This song is possibly thr darkest song on the album lyricwise, only rivalled by Deep Kick. However, on the other side of things, the lyrics are the norm that you would expect from an RHCP record. AK's pain about his reborn drug addiction is evident in some songs, and Tearjerker is about the death of Kurt Cobain, but otherwise lyrically it's your average funky Chili Pepper album.

Again, this album will be ignored because of the absence of John Frusciante, and fans that RHCP have picked up in recent years will possibly never even know of One Hot Minute's existence, because of the lack of songs played from it at concerts today. And it's a shame it will be overlooked, because here lies, in my opinion, one of the greatest, if not the best, RHCP records ever made. It has a perfect blend of funk metal, and the slower songs that the Chilis on occasion can do so well. Each song deserves it's place on that album, and there is not one song that I can say to be weak. If I was to criticise it, I would say that Dave overdoes it with the effects just a tad, and the solos aren't always what they could be. And sometimes the casual listener may feel it's sometimes a little to dark and heavy(not in a musical sense, but in sense of a mood). However, it is an exceptional record. It's the Chili's heaviest record, and is the dark horse of their collection. But if people would give it a chance, it's a gem of a record.

jimmy, the one
    If there wasn't so much swearing, i'd buy this album. Because there is, i just downloaded individual songs. I don't think the peps had learnt smart marketing yet.