One Hot Minute review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 12, 1995
Red Hot Chili Peppers: One Hot Minute

With the temporary departure of John Frusciante The Red Hot Chili Peppers continued valiantly, recruiting former Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro to play on their 1995 release One Hot Minute. Gone are the infectious, chirping funk numbers of Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and thrust staggeringly into the limelight are Navarro's crunching riffs, all of which groove rhythmically along with The Chili's usual rhythm section. It almost feels as if Navarro is reluctant to take hold and lead the song, when he does it turns out well enough, but nothing that comes close to surpassing Frusciante's genius licks on Blood Sugar Sex Magik. At his best Navarro delivers the goods, at his worst he copies John Frusciate's style blatantly. Flea seems to be pushed from his usual spot, his bass often audible, though completely overshadowed by Dave Navarro's hard rock riffs. Chad Smith, however, steps his game up, pounding like a madman throughout the blistering chant of 'Warped' notably.

Anthony Kiedis, the happy, reformed addict we knew from Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik returns, with his drug habit in full effect. Allegedly he had a tooth pulled and had to be drugged, leading to relapse. His lyrics are tormented, even the most positive of them ending up as lamentations as demonstrated on 'Aeroplane'. He delves from death, to friends, to loss, to addiction and even to recalling his bizarre upbringing. It all leaves a sad hole in the pit of your gut, because the hole CD seems lyrically devoid of any happiness. But Kiedis is a skilled, and ever-improving lyricist, forming rhymes that any other man would struggle with, with ease. He also widens his vocal palette, shifting even farther from his rapping and singing almost exclusively on One Hot Minute, a feat he accomplishes with surprising grace.

A twisted snapshot of The Red Hot Chili Peppers in one of their darkest hours, regardless One Hot Minute is a listenable and fairly enjoyable album. Some songs could definitely have been cut, perhaps an indication of the hazy state of affairs they were mixed up in during recording. This is without a doubt The Chili's least inspired CD, and not recommended to a first time listener, however if you are a seasoned Chili's fan and haven't tuned into One Hot Minute you may as well give it a try, there are a handful of good tracks. 'Warped', 'My Friends', 'Shallow Be Thy Game' make up the most solid of the songs.

gljbass
    I'm a fan of the album. it sounds great. Some songs annoy me, like One Big Mob. It's classic 'Peppers like in some ways, but i didn't like how the song was written to the band screaming something i can't make out. but overall, good album. As for these people knockin John Frusciante, ya'll are wrong. It's a different style for the chili's. Like notice in the later albums how genius the effects are. I still can't figure out what he does on the solo for "Throw Away Your Television". And the verses for "Don't Forget Me".... who thinks of that? i works though. .... also, Flea wrote like the whole One Hot Minute album. Just sayin.
    G&L18
    Actually, an instrumental album would be sweet.
    Ya it would. Have you seen the jams they do between songs in their live shows? Those three could probably come up with a mindblowing instrumental album in a few days.
    pootoob
    druz15_UG wrote: con job wrote: havent heard this but from the songs i did hear from it its gotta be better than Stadium Arcadium and By the Way....anythin has to be By the Way is their greatest work of art yet you fool
    I thought By the Way was for the large part just commercial tripe. 1) Blood Sugar 2)One Hot 3)Californication = Uplift Mofo 4)Mother's Milk 5)Freaky Styley 6)By the Way 7) Stadium 8) self titled
    lethargytartare
    One of the more fair and accurate reviews of the album -- it was definitely a deviation from their core groove, but there were some excellent tunes on there, and it did get unfairly panned for the struggles that attended it. And I think, as some others here noted, that later albums are much further deviations from BSSM, but aren't nearly as high-octane as OHM...
    NorCalLos
    Although each one is good for its own reasons, they are all drastically different, which is why they're the shit. I think they need to do an instrumental album or an unplugged, anyone with me? Actually, an instrumental album would be sweet. I thought the instrumentals on Stadium Arcadium were some of their best in a while in and of themselves. The problem is that the more aggressive/funky style doesn't lend itself to good vocal melodies. Also, I think writing a "double album" for Anthony was too daunting. He ended up repeating himself lyrically and melodically a lot and the songs sounded like they could've been better if he kept working at them instead of using the first/obvious idea he thought of. At least that's the sense I get.
    biglaz84
    1.BloodSugarSexMagik 2.Mother's Milk 3.Californication 4.Freaky Style 5.One Hot Minute 6.By The Way 7.Stadium Arcadium 8.The Uplift Mofo Party Plan 9.Self-Titled Although each one is good for its own reasons, they are all drastically different, which is why they're the shit. I think they need to do an instrumental album or an unplugged, anyone with me?
    NorCalLos
    I think Hillel's spirit had more to do with making the Red Hots the band they were back then and through today, but his playing wasn't that spectacular. He definitely helped bridge the gap between 80's Van Halen style guitar and 90's alternative, but John is way funkier and more diverse. John has soul/emotion in his playing. I love Niandra Lades and Usually Just A T-shirt (John's first solo album).
    rhcpfan2030
    con job wrote: FruFighter wrote: Without John it's just the Re Ot Il Pers the chilis reached their peaks with John, but hav also hit horrible lows with him too(i.e Stadium Arcadium)they were somethin spectacular before john was even old enough to vote or had even heard of these guys I totally agree, in comparison to the others, stadium sucked. And, personally, i didn't like by the way all that much, and frusciante did most of the writing on that one. Still, Frusciante is the best guitarist they ever worked with, even better than Hillel Slovak, who basically shaped their "uber-funk" sound.
    Clutch32192
    A good album not really awesome, In scartissue anthony said that navarro never really clicked, and he always was late and didn't seem into it a whole lot, course they were all on drugs so... This is my order of their best, nothin can beat the John years. Though Hillel was good. RIP Hillel sry if i miss spell ur name. 1. Blood Sugar Sex Magik 2. Californication 3. By The Way 4. Mothers Milk 5. Stadium Arcadium 6. One Hot Minute NO matter wut order the CHilis ROCK
    Andy2k64
    Restlesscow wrote: I agree with druz15, By the Way is definatly one of their better albums, along with Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Mothers Milk and californication (Well, they are their best in my opinion. Stadium Arcadium is (For me) their worst album, though there are still a number of good songs on their. And to all those who say they have "Sold out" or "Changed too much from early years" Can you see them doing the same kinda songs from "Freaky Styley"? Bands Mature over time. It would be boring if they always wrote the samestuff over and over again.
    i agree hands down. stadium sucked. im a massive fan of the chilis but was very disappointed!
    Aliboulala
    zeppelin are a perfect 10 !
    JDZYX
    heavymetal31 wrote: the thing that i dont get is this album got like 7.7 and 8's and some 10's and some stuff like that and led zeppeln IV got 4.7 from one of the users seriously WTF!
    Um... You ARE joking, right? No one who a soul can possibly give a Zep album 4.7... It's just not... Possible... Is it?
    tona_107
    the chilis are nothing without john. this cd proves that, in my opinion, john brings the majority of the melody and appeal to their music.
    Restlesscow
    tristan_deity
    Stadium Rocked! just not as hard as some lol
    heavymetal31
    magefredrik
    1. Blood Sugar Sex Magik 2. Stadium Arcadium 3. Freakey Styley 4. Mother's Milk 5. By the Way 6. Uplift Mofo Party Plan 7. Californication 8. One Hot Minute 9. Red Hot Chili Peppers They're all great though
    NorCalLos
    1. Blood Sugar Sex Magik 2. Mother's Milk (Frusciante's solo stuff, on average, would go about here) 3. One Hot Minute 4. Californication 5. By The Way 6. Out In L.A. 7. Self Titled 8. The Uplift Mofo Party Plan 9. Freakey Styley 10. Stadium Arcadium (I think that's all of them...?)
    funkychili
    This album kicks so much ass! Its definitely up there amogst their best. It really is an album the grows on you. Chili's rule.
    Clutch32192
    RHCP are my fav band...this is prob my 5th fav album of theirs...Idk didn't think navarro fit well...after reading scar tissue kiedis also said that navarro slacked alot and didn't fit right. 1. Blood Sugar Sex Magik 2. Californication 3. By The Way 4. Stadium Arcadium 5. One Hot Minute 6. Mothers Milk
    Guitar}Zero
    Wonderful album. Some tracks are a difficult listen but overall interesting stuff. Love falling into grace and transcending
    RhcpGurl
    dgme92 wrote: stadium arcadium IS excellent, but you can't deny, old skool 'Peppers are better. they may have become more commercial, but its still the same band at the end of the day
    totally, mothers milk is the best olld school chilis album, john guitarwork was amazing
    iksero
    i think it is entertaining how goofy people are, if they hear a band like, say dragonforce, they are mad everything sounds the same. However with a band like the chili peppers, they want everything to sound the same. I just find it kind of humorous. Now, I love Fruiscante, however, I don't think he can hold a candle to Hillel. That's just my opinion, and I really don't care what you think of it. That's all i got.
    duckslayer28965
    best songs from this albumm: transcending aeroplane falling into grace warped would be amazing but the weird singing is annoying