Red Hot Chili Peppers review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Red Hot Chili Peppers

Overall I thought the album's sound was ok. This is the album where's Flea's bass sounds the best, like in True Men Don't Kill Coyotes and Get Up and Jump. However, I thought the production was very poor. Anthony's singing was not very interesting to listen to in several songs. The production sounded dry and uninteresting. However, there are some bright spots. Their funk sound is clearly evident in the songs True Men, Get Up and Jump and Police Helicopter. Meanwhile, I thought the song Mommy Where's Daddy is just strange. Overall this album could have been great but the production ruined it.

Overall I liked most of the lyrics. Get Up and Jump has lyrics that just make you want to jump around the whole room. He tries to write meaningful songs such as Green Heaven, What It Is and Out in L.A. However on a couple of songs, lyrics are repeated over and over, and he didn't seem to try to hard on You Always Sing the Same and Mommy Where's Daddy.

I have to say this is my least favorite Chili Peppers album, not because it's bad, but because the other albums are better. I like Mother's Milk and Freaky Styley better than this one. There are a couple of good songs but the others are a waste of time and space. I liked that they started their very first album off with a powerful funk sound.

Frusciante_14
    when he said they left to do another project he meant when the first album was recording. they didnt have much to do with it because they were in another band. this was there first album. Out in L.A. was ages after and was a compilation. i really liked the album personally. but im an obsessor of them haha.