Stadium Arcadium review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: May 9, 2006
  • Sound: 10
  • Lyrics: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 10 Gem
  • Users' score: 6.3 (2,359 votes)
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Stadium Arcadium
36

Sound — 10
After hearing Dani California, it really prompted me to buy the new album, and I have to say, I love every damn song on this album, because the best part is, Dani California is an amazing song, but nowhere near the best on the album, it has a funky, upbeat rhythm about it, with some slower songs like 'Snow (Hey Oh)', and 'Shes Only 18', and just as the interviewer said to Flea, this certainly is mainly guitar, with some awesome riffs like 'Hump De Bump', and the solo in 'Charlie' and of course, the solo in 'Dani California', and John Fruisciante is really pulling himself out on this album. I dont believe I've heard such effects used in a song, in 'Hump De Bump' alone it has 5 different instruments - guitar, drums, bass, trumpet and steel pans. I have to say this is incredibly imaginative, and only the chillis could pull off such a sound. Incredible.

Lyrics — 10
My first inpression of the lyrics, was of course listenig to Dani California, and it did sound as if Anthony Kiedis was really stretching to get something pen to paper, but listening to the rest of the album, I realised, Dani California was actually beginning to make sense, and there is the still the old chillis vibe in the band, and Anthony Kiedis still has that amazing voice we hear on every album, and the backing vocals really add effect, and they really do go with the music, and overall, the lyrics are amazing, the singing skills are amazing, it's immense.

Overall Impression — 10
I think this is one the the chillis best albums along with 'Blood Sugar Sex Magic' and 'Californication', and by far the most impressive songs on the album are 'Torture Me', 'Readymade', 'Snow (Hey Oh)', and 'Hump De Bump', but that is only personal opinion, and I absolutely love the contrast they have on the album of slow meets funky, and the fact that you cant help but tap your foot in time with Fleas amazing bass skills, but the one thing I dislike about this album is the fact that they have simply too many songs on the album, and were not hearing enough of Flea in the songs, but thats only minor, and the rest of the band make up for that. Definintely if it was stolen, I would hunt down the theif, and slap them until their cheeks caved in. This album is pure immense.

125 comments sorted by best / new / date

    GNR's Fan
    Its an alright album it grows on you after a while, its really is past-present-future, michigan is really good song though. Its not worth a ten , albums like Ten, Nevermind, Master of the Puppets, BSSM, Jimi Hendrix albums, Appetite are far better i give it a 8 at the most, but its not crap it is well worth it but not as good as the hype makes it look like.
    *cookie*
    GAH! how did you all get it?? Im in australia and it doesnt come out till the 13th... but i heard that it comes out on the 9th in the US or sumthin... AH! i want it! so is it out where you lot are? and if thats the case, where are you!? *sobs* im getting very impatient... a whole nother week to wait for it eh, ill just have to listen to the live versions of some of the songs in the meantime *~*~cookie~*~*
    plecker
    i think everyone sees that different, cause its only a matter of taste. I'm a big fan of the band and I like of course I like that album (which ive already bought and heard to a few times) i dont know wether a few persons here have got problems with their ears because I can hear fleas basslines very well! as a big fan i would of course agree with the reviewer'S 10!
    tomwm1
    some songs are good and some are boring.its better then by the way but not as good as calaforniacation or blood sugar sex magic
    chief1989
    well to start, I think the band is still goin hard and have a tone of great songs to come in the future. Ive only heard Dani California so far and it blew me away. Some of the guitar may seem to have gone downhill according to u guys, but u dont seem to get that just because something is simple doesnt mean its bad, like look at smoke on the water. Intros as simple as it gets but I could swear nearly everybody who knows anything about music knows that riff. and Anthony was being anthony on Dani C. lil abstract but thats one of the things that make him great. Basically everybody in the band did well to my knowledge. I hate doing this, but a lot of u ppl need to get sum lives and stop complaining and whining about stupid pointless stuff on this website. Whenever I go to read a review n such I hate reading everbody elses comment on it ( I usually skip that cuz its just ppl sayingt his band sucks or this person/band is overrated and everybody forgets wut this site is all about. its not just bout guitar but music in general and if u dont agree wit something keep ur mouth shut and everybody else who does agree with wut is said n such let em be. Everybody has an opinion to voice but when its unneccisary and just plain stupid ex. Green Day sucks blah blah blah and all this bull. anyways I'll stop beign a hypocrite by complaing n shit and just leave. u ppl anoy me
    jayant412
    I thought the review was alright. If anyone should have a problem with the review they should one themselves. And the album totally rocks!!! I couldn't wait till it hit stores and Downloaded it.. ...but i could hear the bass very well...Its maybe because I downloaded the album ... And Flea was at his best on this album. And lyrics were alright, nothing too special. The guitar work on some of the songs was truly amazing. Hope someone comes out with the guitar tabs as soon as Possible..!! RHCP Rock... 9/10 on this album.
    ratm_basssolger
    well,the cd aint hit stores in india but when it does i am going to definately pick it up.The single for dani california is out but i think the song is quite mediocre...well...lets hope for the best.
    Horvat
    Just a tip buddy_bomber: next time you write a review, make sure its free from as much personal bias as possible. Sure, its your opinion, but people don't want to hear a completely biased and untruthful review. It gives them the wrong impression. From the "glowing" review you gave this album, you make it seem as if its the greatest album of all time (in my opinion its nowhere near better than albums like Master of Puppets, Dark Side of the Moon, or Led Zep IV). As well as writing from your own point of view, try to picture yourself in the shoes of someone who isn't a devoted RHCP fan, and write what they would probably think of the songs. A review that gets across your own opinion, whilst still giving others who dont share your bias the truth, is a good review.
    irockonguitar
    i say to anybody who dosnt like this album, listen to it. RHCP stuff always grows on me if i dont think its to good. i have this album and it rocks, especially dani california (who gives a s*** if its popular?)
    rhcpismylife18
    well im a huge chili peppers fan...i think the alblum has a lot of variety...has a few funk, a few mellow, a few just overall chili style...i agree that it can get boring..but after it grows on u...ull enjoy every song...just listen to a few at a time so its not overwhelming...i dunno if its as good as BSSM or not..but its better than what theyve done in a while
    taymanffb
    Stadium Arcadium is very much a hybrid of many chilli peppers other music. I think it combines lots of very good parts of their music. For the people who cant hear Flea, I agree with some others in telling you to turn up the base. You def hear the guitar, and AK's lyrics are very good as always. There are chill songs, funky songs and rock songs on this album. There are alot of good songs on this album, I personally like snow, slow cheetah, torture me, but i have to listen to the album a few more times to tell you the others i like. I would strongly encourage all to go out and get this double album, its very good, I'd give it a 9, because like many say it isnt up there with the best albums ever, but I would say one of the best in the last few years.
    ToBeAGooner
    I think their are enough good songs for one fantastic album, but the two discs drag on, and their are too many times I am going to the skip button on my Ipod or on Itunes. There are definetly some good well written songs, but surrounded by too much filler. I heard they recorded some insane number of songs for the album, I can only imagine how bad the ones were that diddnt make the cut.
    MX4Life
    I think the album is great. There are some strong songs. If you can't hear the bass, you're deaf, and you're not listening to the right songs it seems. Listen to Readymade. Yeah, it's a bit repetitive, but it's a cool riff, IMO. Snow is a cool song too. There are several songs on the album that I like. I'd definitly recommend buying it.
    Skid
    I love the chili peppers but imo nothing will ever upstage blood sugar that album i listen to everyday and never get bored of it.. glad fru has stopped his less is more playing from the last 2 albums
    Vismund
    eat my ****ing lossless FLAC files Flea... bit for mother****in bit
    Bulletbass man
    lazyboat wrote: this reviewer obviously adores the chilli peppers and so anything they produce is gna get full marks which is totally biased and makes for a crap review, he's rated every aspect of this album 10, which therefore puts it up there with the likes of Led Zep 4 or Sgt Pepper, but it blatantly isn't of tht standard wat is he thinking
    I prefer Led Zep 2 but anyways yeah. Its what i call new gear syndrom. Just like the kids who go screaming how great thier mg is and in less than a month thier telling everyone not to buy it.
    guitarkid2113
    Man I wanna see them tonight on SNL but I also want to go see them when theyre in Boston. I want to buy this album BADLY!! Some people say that because its a double album, a lot of its gonna be filler stuff. I hope not!!
    roast
    Yes. Yes. FUCKING YES. FCKING YES YES YES. This is one of the best albums ive ever heard IN MY FCKING LIFE!!
    Grilled Chez
    All I know is I like Dani California. I'm going to be true and buy the album on Tuesday. The cover is just so terrible though.
    funkedupbassist
    i completely agree, i've listened to it online and flea's is awesome as well as the rest of the band i can't wait till it comes out where i live on May 9
    Define
    Oh wow, a double CD album is long? I never would have thought!
    wookieGTB
    i'm sure lots of people will like it but so far i'm finding it average on the most part. in fact, first listen through i turned it off and put on blood sugar sex magic.
    FleaClaypool
    i downloaded this entire thing and i will say this is an incredible album i am still going to buy it when it comes out on cd but in my opinion my favorite song on the entire album would have to be wet sand
    sikamikanico87
    Holy Shit..... What an amazing piece of creativity this record is.... I love how the chilis have experimentd with all the genres of sound that have served them so well in the past..... And John is just a creative genious on this record..... This is gonna be MMAAAASSSIIVE. Much Respect for RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
    Mr.NakNak
    i have ears. i love it. i do not yet own the album myself, but will be purchasing it shortly. those red hot chili peppers kick arse. and if you disagree, i will fight you. and that's no lie.
    bc2025
    The album is amazing!!! flea is the best and makes this album the best!!! Redferret can kiss my ass
    Cake1000
    OneEyedMan wrote: That YouTube video has been removed due to copyright stuff by request of BBC. Hopefully the album comes out here in australia soon, can't wait to hear it. Those you say they 'don't like it' need to learn to respect music a bit more. These guys haven't sold out, they are going as strong as ever and aren't giving into commercialisation like the numerous pop, punk and rap artists that dominate the top 40 now days for some insane reason, ie big companies brain washing our youth. Enough of that. Go read anthony's book, goto songmeanings.com and learn some of the meanings behind the songs and you'll learn to respect the songs much better. Cheers.
    Chilis are definately getting more commercial whether they mean to or not. Especially with songs like Universally Speaking and The Zephyr Song from By the Way which were very MEDIOCRE and sounded very MAINSTREAM. !!!FLEA IS THE BEST CHILI PEPPER!!!
    Cake1000
    morelloman19 wrote: metrule89 wrote: I don't think redferret could have put it any better. To be honest a lot of the album is quite boring to me, nowhere near as good as BSSM, One Hot Minute or any of their other stuff really. I suppose everybody just had too high expectations of this album. One Hot Minute is the Chili Peppers worst album, so if that's what you based your expectations on for this album, then you must REALLY not like it. as for me, i've heard 3 songs, i will be getting the album tuesday, and all 3 were amazing. everyone on here talks about how the funk stuff on this album has BSSM roots. have none of you heard the self titled album? Freaky Styley? Mother's Milk? BSSM was the end of their funk days. Any album with 28 songs will take a while to grow on you. Some songs you will love right away, others will take months. Happens to me all the time.
    morelloman19 wrote: metrule89 wrote: I don't think redferret could have put it any better. To be honest a lot of the album is quite boring to me, nowhere near as good as BSSM, One Hot Minute or any of their other stuff really. I suppose everybody just had too high expectations of this album. One Hot Minute is the Chili Peppers worst album, so if that's what you based your expectations on for this album, then you must REALLY not like it. as for me, i've heard 3 songs, i will be getting the album tuesday, and all 3 were amazing. everyone on here talks about how the funk stuff on this album has BSSM roots. have none of you heard the self titled album? Freaky Styley? Mother's Milk? BSSM was the end of their funk days. Any album with 28 songs will take a while to grow on you. Some songs you will love right away, others will take months. Happens to me all the time.
    SHUT UP! You obviouly just followed the crowd here and decided One Hot Minute was the worst Chilis album just like the rest of those WANKERS! Though I do agree that BSSM was the beginning of the end of their funk days, but it wouldnt be right to put this album with the rest of their older stuff like Uplift Mofo... and Mothers Milk because it just isnt as funky. It is alot better than By the Way though which was by far the WORST album theyve made. Ps. If no ones hasnt heard Mothers Milk then they HAVE to buy it if they think anything of funk because it is easily one of their BEST albums!
    OneEyedMan
    That YouTube video has been removed due to copyright stuff by request of BBC. Hopefully the album comes out here in australia soon, can't wait to hear it. Those you say they 'don't like it' need to learn to respect music a bit more. These guys haven't sold out, they are going as strong as ever and aren't giving into commercialisation like the numerous pop, punk and rap artists that dominate the top 40 now days for some insane reason, ie big companies brain washing our youth. Enough of that. Go read anthony's book, goto songmeanings.com and learn some of the meanings behind the songs and you'll learn to respect the songs much better. Cheers.
    atomikpunk666
    just go listen at vh1.com for free you cant keep the tracks but you can listen thats what i did
    metrule89
    I changed my mind, it rocks lol. It's just one of those albums where the more you listen to it the more you love it.
    Andrewthegiant
    The sound quality on the downloadable version on internet is excellent, at least the one I downloaded. It's not poor at all as flea said. Yes I have done it. I have listened to SA for about a week now and it kicks ass. So much I, storm in a teacup, ready made and tell me baby kicks the most. With this said, I must tell you that I'm going to buy the album as well (even the expensive one with the DVD) So that Flea can get his money and be happy (that was not a diss...well kinda, but in a nice way, I love flea) Stadium Arcadium deserves a ?score? between 8 and 9. - Andrew from Norway
    kelvin337
    i think since everybody is used to RHCP producing awesome albums we expect to get a great one everytime which is not an easy feat. so of course there r goin 2 b songs that aren't as good as the others but still this albim is really sweet.especially musically with Frusciante's wicked licks and solos although Im used to hearing more of Flea's outstanding bass riffs. all in all i really enjoy this album eventhough its not there best ill admit that
    mrfrusciante
    [quote]leeRy wrote: yayrabies : Ireland got it on the 5th may for some strange, but happy reason Is there something in Ireland that the Chili's love? Ya maybeythere is seen as da best concert they ever played EVER was here in Ireland (Slane)
    GNR-4-Ever
    Most albums seem boring and mediocre with the first listen...unless the album is legendary. For instance, I thought Ride the Lightning (Metallica) was pretty boring...but after listening to it for awhile, it started to grow on me.