Stadium Arcadium review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: May 9, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
  • Users' score: 6.3 (2,359 votes)
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Stadium Arcadium

Dani California was an encouraging first single off of Stadium Arcadium. Catchy, and with the first decent solo Frusciante has thrown out in years, I was very optimistic about getting the album. But when I began to listen to it, I was extremely disappointed. The Chili's new interest in slow songs (since the Dave Navarro era) shows up a lot on this album. Very little funk is to be found, and for people searching for some of the essence of the '80s/'90s Chilis will have to look elsewhere. The most disappointing aspect of this album is the virtual non-existence of Flea as a bass player. Not to put the man down or anything, he is possibly the greatest bass player to ever grace the earth, but there's very little showcasing of his talent here, which in most cases is what made the Chili Peppers who they were years and years ago. Frusciante and Kiedis seem to be running the show these days. No wonder Flea has been wanting to quit since Californication. Frusciante has improved notably, but is still nowhere near the guitarist he could be. There are some great guitar lines and solos in here, but they're just thrown out the window when you hear the riff to "Hump De Bump". Two notes, how imaginative. But for the most part, the guitar is functional, but far from brilliantly genius. Flea's bass playin is very basic, usually just playing the root of the chord. His highlights are limited to "Tell Me Baby." Chad is Mr. Reliable, nothing spectacular, but it fits neatly in.

Kiedis' lyrics are at points appalling, but usually they're quite good. In "Hump De Bump" (hmm there's that song again) the words make little decipherable sense. These ramblings are an attempt at a punky, funky song, but it's embarrassing. However, "Slow Cheetah"offers some reprieve, probably the best lyrical display on the album. Overall, the lyrics are pretty so-so. They have a lot more meaning than they used to (Hard To Concentrate written about Flea proposing to his wife), but they lack creativity.

This is probably the Chili Peppers weakest offering to date, excluding One Hot Minute. Disc Two of this album is absolute tripe, sounding like a compilation of B-sides. The best songs on the album(overall)are "Snow(Hey Oh)", "She's Only 18", "Charlie", "Slow Cheetah", and "Storm In A Teacup". If this album was ten tracks long, it would have scored much higher. The fact is, it drowns in it's own longevity, and repetitiveness. There's no creative genius here to keep a true Chili Pepper fan happy, but for those who only caught on since By The Way, it's perfect for them. Truly a tragedy that R.H.C.P have declined to this.

axe_man
    Repitition
    cuige
    Repitition wrote: This album is too ****ing long, there are a lot of good songs on here but they are surrounded by filler. If they had taken to the time to organise it better and reduce it to a normal album in length it would be the best of they year. But they didn't so it's not.
    There's no fillers man. The thing is that with every album you never like it straight away. You need to get to know the songs. The only difference is that there's 28 songs so people are too lazy to get to know each one and they give it bad reviews.
    con job
    wanna make a change to the review i wrote."Disc Two of this album is absolute tripe, sounding like a compilation of B-sides." the chilis have had some unbelievablely good b-sides in the past, i.e "Fela's Cock" and "Rivers Of Avalon, so that comparison is actally unfair to make. but anybody on the same boat as me that hates his album will probably know what i mean. u begin to wonder....would this piece of crap record ever have happened if Hillel Slovak never died?.....
    con job
    axe_man wrote: this albumns amazing fans criticise it just because it's slightly differnet and more funky than the rest of the stuff the chillies have released i think it is awsome, every track is great in some way.
    WTF are u talkin about?!funkier than their other stuff?!sure they try to make it that way,and just bcoz its funkier than By The Way doesnt make this funky.dude, get urself a copy of Mothers Milk or BSSM coz u obviously havent heard them if u think THIS is funky.
    eddy72
    con job how the **** can you mention hillel? thats really shitty dude
    wicrock
    I dont know bout you guys but after some time, I got to appreciate this album. I know its not as funky as the older albums but its better than having none. I really love this album now, in fact I have two o_o, one was given as a gift. Anyway, for me, there is at least 3 or 4 weak tracks but that does not ruin the rest of the songs in it. Im just glad that the chilis are back makin music. Great album
    con job
    eddy72 wrote: con job how the **** can you mention hillel? thats really shitty dude
    listen im sorry but i do wonder what the chilis would be like if he was still with us.im just so freakin disappointed bout this album and its johns influence....i realise i didnt mention him in the best of tastes and i apologise for that dude sorry
    cuige
    Con job: u begin to wonder....would this piece of crap record ever have happened if Hillel Slovak never died?..... Did you notice that the chili's only became famous when John came into the band! They're a very solid unit with John. John's influence has brought them to where they are now. I mean no disrespect to Hillel and it is obvious as well that they would obviously be nowhere with his influence either. But the point I'm making is that both have been essential to the chilis we have today. Also this record rocks. Total piece of art.
    Samfisher21
    Yer i agree with cuige,not disrespecting Hillel but john changed the chili's 4 the better, and how you could think this album is crap Con Job,wat hav yu been listenin 2 ey, this aint there best but close 2 it (behind Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californacation),Chili's Rock