Stadium Arcadium review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: May 9, 2006
  • Users' score: 6.3 (2,359 votes)
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Stadium Arcadium

The sound on RHCP's latest album, their 9th studio album, is unlike any album that has preceeded it, in their catalogue. Firstly, the influences of Jimi Hendrix on John Frusciante are evident, as you can hear a Wah-Wah effect on pretty much every single song at some point in the album. The sound is basically a best-of of the Chili Peppers. It's got the rap/rock/funk of bssm, the more melodic style of By The Way and the Rap Rock of Californication, at some point in each song every one of the band members; Anthony Kiedis, John Frusciante, Flea and Chad Smith shine.

As far as I can tell, there is not a overall theme to this album and it is definetly not a concept album. Anthony seems to be simply telling stories within songs, Dani California is the concluding part to the trilogy of songs about the girl Dani, who is a manisfestation of every girl Kiedis has ever met. The other two being By The Way and Californication. Hard To Conentrate is basically a marriage proposal over some quality guitar from John Fruscainte, the lyrics work and fit the songs, plus Anthony sings them very well, opposed to how some people think he sounds as if he is dying.

My personal favourite other albums by RHCP are By The Way, which I think is a absolutely amazing album if you sit down and listen to it. There are really no other artists around nowadays who are in the Chili Pepper's genre of Rap/Rock/Funk, or anyone as sucessful at any rate. The best songs about it are; Dani California, Snow (Hey-Oh), Slow Cheetah, Strip My Mind, Wet Sand, Hard To Concentrate, Readymade and Turn It Again, in my opinion. What I love about it is what I loved about the other RHCP albums I've got, just the fact you've got quality music that doesn't let up on one song, I play guitar so I get attracted to songs from catchy riffs, there is at least one good riff or amazing solo on each song here, there's nothing to hate unless you don't like RHCP anyway. Finally, as UG says, if it did get stolen I'd buy it again. My first copy got nicked and I picked a second copy up for 7 pounds, which is criminal for the quality you're getting.