Stadium Arcadium review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: May 9, 2006
  • Users' score: 6.3 (2,359 votes)
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Stadium Arcadium

This is easily the best, most bold album of 2006. This double album is like nothing released in a long time: it's a bold musical journey that I'm astounded these guys created. From the rocking, catchy single "Dani California" to the remniscient, Floyd-esqe "Death of A Martian," this album has so many ways to take your breath away. Where these guys truly shine is ballads, songs like the title track, "Slow Cheetah," "Strip My Mind," and "Wet Sand," this album's sound is so diverse and brilliant that it will definitely floor you.

Here's the album's only downfall: Kiedis' lyrics don't make sense; there's not really any depth to them. One critic went as far as to describe the lyrics as "A stream of consciousness filtered through a rhyming dictionary." This is totally true; the lyrics only seem to be there to rhyme. However, this really doesn't take away from the awesomeness of the album, so it really doesn't bother me.

All of you Die-Hard Chili Pepper fans out there who act like this album sucks... shut up. Just because they don't rap and don't carry a PA warning on their disc doesn't mean that their music is bad. You don't want your music to sound the same for your whole career (coughBOSTONcough). This album is a step for the Peppers, and it's amazing. At first I didn't like this album at all. But after a few listens, it donned on me: this album is amazing. In fact, it's the most amazing CD I've ever heard. It's sprawling and diverse. It's a musical journey, kickin' off with Dani California and ending with Death of a Martian. There are many twists and turns on the journey that give it that extra special quality. So what if it doesn't sound like "Blood Sugar?" This album not only sounds better, but is ten times more mature then said album. Overall, a flawless album (except for "Hey," "C'mon Girl," "Torture Me," "If," and "We Believe). Well, a basically perfect album with a few flaws. But the beauty of this album just cancels out anything bad about it. Amazing CD.

RHCPhan18
    turtles_head wrote: Anyone else notice the little mistake Frusciante makes in the riff 53 seconds into 'Turn It Again'?
    Thanks for pointing that out... Now it'll irritate me every time I hear the song.
    leeprechaun
    AznInvazn666 : I hate RHCP, no offense but I'm just not into the funk/rock stuff that they play, also they could use distortion and some more skill.
    name one band that sounds as unique as the chilis and uses distortion; for that matter, name a band that sounds half as good as the chilis....then i'l let you off for that one
    strokes4ever
    con job wrote: justinR951 wrote: wangmaster wrote: dont get them back on drugs, man. yeah, the music was good but it tore their bodies and minds apart. yea we don't wanna lose john again... I am honestly starting to prefer Dave as a Chili Pepper guitarist
    leeprechaun
    guitar_hero543
    con job
    People DO have different opinions to you ya know.....
    con job
    strokes4ever wrote:what??? are you completely stupid, frusciante is quite possibly the greatest guitarist of our time, i cant think of a guitarist of more skill, the chord patterns the original riffs the great effects the layering of sounds, does this not make someboady a great musician more to the point maybe this is not the greatest chili pepper record and maybe there are too many tracks but damn its still bloody good, i cant see how anybody can not like this amazing band
    No I am not stupid. As I outlined above, it's a thing called OPINION. It might be a foreign concept to you. I am of the opinion that Dave suits the CHili Peppers more. Sure, John might be more creative or whatever the **** but I think Dave is more suited to the Chili Peppers I like to listen to. It just shows how immature you are that you called me stupid for expressing an opinion.
    guitar_hero543
    cuige
    Con job shut the f**k up! You can state an opinion but we can disagree with you too. Idiot. I disagree with you as well. Dave Navarro didn't even like some pf the songs on One Hot Minute. Not a good sign.
    Quark113
    First Chili's album I got...didn't like it at first. Now It's all I've listened to for about a week. All good except 4 We Believe & Turn it again. And no i didnt like turn it even b4 i heard the mistake.
    con job
    guitar_hero543 wrote: con job wrote: guitar_hero543 wrote: oh my god oasisy bob's review said he didnt like the verse of tell me baby!! who the heck doesnt like flea slap bass??? as a bass player thats probably one of my favorite songs, its so hard to do flea slap like they do in that song, and it sounds sweet as everything, great album, rhcp kicks azzz People DO have different opinions to you ya know..... gawd ya people have different opinions, and i just stated mine jackass, you got a problem with that? i said i liked the song, here everytime you say an opinion and somebody puts you down you say "thers something called an opinion" well if you think that then dont go putting other people down for saying their opinions, wow kid, i am SO glad you're smart (that was sarcasm for those of you who are mental)
    Apologies my good man, I think I quoted the wrong person for that :S reading back on it it doesn't make much sense....apologies!
    ernie123
    It's a good album.. But it would have been better if they cut the fat a bit i.e only used 13 of the tracks off either album...
    queenslander47
    i thought this album was brilliant, i do prefer the chili's from their BSSM days but i did really like this album. And really, BSSM was 16 years ago, we can't expect them to b exactly the same band as they were way back then.
    guitarguru1212
    i think that stadium arcadium owns it is definatly one of their better albums, fav. track has to be slow cheetah it just fills you up when you listen to it like lasagna lol, only track i dont like is hump de bump, its too light hearted and stuff makes me wanna be happy lol