Stadium Arcadium review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: May 9, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
  • Users' score: 6.3 (2,359 votes)
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Stadium Arcadium

For an established band who promised that they were "bringing the funk back" this album strikes me as sounding unfinished and overly reliant on synths considering the Chili Peppers raw funk-rock background. Frusciante is welcome to distort his guitar sound beyond human recognition on the 10 albums he releases per year but he should keep his effects box away from the studio when working with the Chilis. It sounds as if Flea, a formerly prominent figure within the group's sound has been banished almost entirely. Dani California was a fantastic track that actually made sense serving merely to get our hopes up before this disappointing double-disc album ruined the concept. The only other song that I think truly works on this album is She's Only 18, and even then it sounds quite weak and lacking in usual Chili Pepper passion.

I have always had time for Anthony Kiedis' lyrical games in the past though they are sometimes questionable. This time however, he has really crossed the line between sensible and complete nonsense. He was better off ON drugs and addicted to sex, lyrically at least. Most of these songs make little or no sense. While this style is acceptable in some artists, it most certainly is not living up to the quality that this group have offered in the past.

This album has nothing on Blood Sugar Sex Magik, or in fact any of their previous releases. Some claim that the fact that there are 2 discs indicates a wealth of creative power, when in fact all it displays is a blatant weakness in not being able to work out which songs to work on harder. My recommendation at the time would have been to cut out the crap ones and put more effort into the songs with promise so that they don't sound so incomplete and out of place with each other. I would expect this of a group releasing their second album and therefore in need of experimentation, not of a well established group such as the Chilis.

Selvinator
    I've noticed a lot of people have been calling the lyrics shitty, but they're really not. On some songs like Hump De Bump, yeah, they definitely could have been better, but most of the lyrics do make sense if you have read Anthony Kiedis' book Scar Tissue, since he usually always writes songs based on his life experiences.
    ginger-bassist
    I would write a review for this Album, but there is already far too many reviews saying the album is perfect in every shape and form, which i dont completely agree with. There is far too much middle of the line stuff on it, its not the usual chili peppers standard. If this is them bringing the funk back, i'd rather they kept it away. If they had cut the album down to a regular single disc album, then it would have been much better, i mean, they only left out 2 tracks from what they had wrote, that is just big headedness having such a big album fool of rubbish. Dani california, Snow, Tell me Baby and hump de bump have all been fine releases, their all great songs i'd say, their all catchy and they rock. But its songs like death of a martian, slow cheetah, etc. their just not good at all. Looking for the funky sound they used to have, Storm in a teacup hits the bullseye. Popping and slapping line, funky guitar, rapping styled singing, this is a good song if looking for their funk It really isnt a very special album, its just another album you'll buy and listen to every so often, nothing that you can listen to for days straight at a time