The Uplift Mofo Party Plan review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jan 1, 1987
Red Hot Chili Peppers: The Uplift Mofo Party Plan

The sound on this album is brilliantly unique. After two rather disappointing albums from the Chilis and a little upheaval in the band's formation (both Hillel Slovak and Jack Irons were contractually barred from playing on the self-titled debut album because they were signed to a different label with a different band and Jack did not come back for 'Freaky Styley') the original foursome - Anthony Kiedis, Flea, Hillel Slovak and Jack Irons - got together to record their first and, sadly, last album together. The result was this - a very impressive album indeed. It's probably the Chilis album with the heaviest funk sound to date. Hillel Slovak was an awesome guitarist, Jack a great drummer and of course Flea is probably the best bassist in the world! Any Chilis fan (or indeed anyone who wants to listen to something very different to anything) should have this album - it was the first truly satisfying album that the Chilis released.

Anthony's erotomania had not yet reached fever pitch (it did that on BloodSugarSexMagik) but he never wastes any time in throwing in a comment or two about the physical act of love "My landlady, she lives three houses away/And she claims that she can hear my baby screaming to me 'F--k me Anthony, Oh Anthony!'" he sings on Special Secret Song Inside. But a lot of the songs on this album have a clear message. Fight Like A Brave tells us that we must unite and fight for our freedom ("Fight like a brave/Don't be a slave"). Me And My Friends gives us an insight to how Anthony felt about his three band mates. The lyrics are not the best the band has produced but where the lyrics don't do it, the music does. Anthony goes into full rap-rock mode on this album and his funky voice fits in well with the funky, testosterone fuelled songs.

This album is one of my favourite albums by the Chilis because it has that heavy funk vibe that they have since moulded to perfection. At the time of this album, the band were quite overshadowed by their own genitalia and this album did not hit the mainstream much, but that doesn't mean it's not good - it is extremely. For any Chilis fan, it is an essential because you get to hear quite a different sound to the band on this and also you get to hear the guitarist that inspired to oh-so-brilliant John Frusciante (*bows to John*). It is the only album where the four original founding members are together and it is an album no Chilis fan should be without.