The Uplift Mofo Party Plan review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jan 1, 1987
Red Hot Chili Peppers: The Uplift Mofo Party Plan

The Uplift Mofo Party Plan is one of the finest albums, possibly best after Blood Sugar Sex Magik. It defines perfectly what the Chilis are all about(or were about). Amazing funk riffs, outstanding solos and some of the best bass lines Flea has ever written, only really bettered by the bass playing on Mother's Milk. And Kiedis gives, in my opinion, one of his best vocal performances of his career. The '80s was not a succesful decade for the Chili's, but it's hard to imagine why. Although they practically invented their own music and there was barely a market for it then, looking back it was their golden age. A lot of so-called Chili Pepper "fans" will not have heard of any album before Californication, and they all themselves fans. Most hardcore fans favourites are pre-One Hot Minute, and Uplift is one of the best. Hillel Slovak (R.I.P) is on fire on this album, as are Flea and Jack Irons. Hillel was unique in the way he effortlessly made his guitar scream and howl. As for Flea, the riff in "Walkin On Down The Road." The sound is a lot more polished than the first two albums, and is truly a work of art.

The lyrics aren't a masterpiece, I've heard better from Kiedis, but "Love Trilogy" is an absolute masterpiece in lyric writing. "Skinny Sweaty Man" and "Organic Anti-Beat Box Band" are also lyrical highlights. Kiedis was at a stge where girls and problems of life weren't his inspiration for songwriting. He basically writes about his friends and life in Hollywood.

This really is a terrific album. The sound is a lot heavier than Freaky Styley, and has everything the Chilis lack nowadays, which is power, attitude, and ultra funky songs. This is ranked second best Chili Pepper album on my list (B.S.S.M being no.1). The best songs are "Fight Like A Brave", "Funky Crime", "Skinny Sweaty Man", "Walkin' On Down The Road" and "Organic Anti-Beat Box Band". I strongly recommend this to anyone wanting something much more raw and funkier then their new stuff. Excellent album. Hillel Slovak R.I.P.

epiphonist13
    straight up el jordo! and hillel and jack werent contractually barred from playing, they chose to play with What Is This because it was their original band.