What Hits!? review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 29, 1992
Red Hot Chili Peppers: What Hits!?

Before buying this album I had listened to Californication, By the Way and Greatest Hits, but I knew this was one of their earlier albums. I didn't enjoy By the Way quite so much because of it's soft-rock sound, so I thought I would probably enjoy an earlier album. I was not disappointed. What Hits!? is a wonderful album of all the Chili's best-loved funk songs from the eighties and early nineties. The Chili's have their roots in hardcore funk, metal and even hip-hop, making their early sound far removed from the soft chords of today.

The lyrics, as always by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, are incredible. Anthony Kiedis is a master poet, bringing the subjects of his songs to life with his fast rapping and melodic singing. The lyrics are what make this album what it is. The way they fit with the music is seamless, and Kiedis' voice is perfect for the funky vibe of the songs.

This is by far the best album I have heard by the Chili's. Beware though - if you prefer the Frusciante era sound, this is not the album for you. Hillel Slovak, their guitarist in the eighties, lends a huge funk influence to this album. The crisp slap sound of Flea's bass is also highly different to the softer tone of today. The best songs are 'Taste The Pain' for that lovely harmonious brass section in the middle, 'Show Me Your Soul' for the great lyrics and 'Under The Bridge' for that soulful singing and lovely guitar part. This is the best album I've bought in years! Couldn't live without it.

pontino
    this is a great album, hillel rocked, RIP those aren't my favorite songs though, i prefer me & my friends, backwoods and behind the sun, but obviously they all rock!
    lounge act
    awesome album, much better than the melodic crap theyre into now. me and my friends, fight like a brave, and johnny kick a hole in the sky are some of the best on there