What Hits!? Review

artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers date: 06/23/2008 category: compact discs
Red Hot Chili Peppers: What Hits!?
Released: Sep 29, 1992
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Funk Metal, College Rock, Rap-Rock
What Hits!? does a pretty good job of sifting through the Peppers' uneven discography.
What Hits!? Reviewed by: Flowerpot, on september 01, 2004

Sound: Before buying this album I had listened to Californication, By the Way and Greatest Hits, but I knew this was one of their earlier albums. I didn't enjoy By the Way quite so much because of it's soft-rock sound, so I thought I would probably enjoy an earlier album. I was not disappointed. What Hits!? is a wonderful album of all the Chili's best-loved funk songs from the eighties and early nineties. The Chili's have their roots in hardcore funk, metal and even hip-hop, making their early sound far removed from the soft chords of today. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, as always by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, are incredible. Anthony Kiedis is a master poet, bringing the subjects of his songs to life with his fast rapping and melodic singing. The lyrics are what make this album what it is. The way they fit with the music is seamless, and Kiedis' voice is perfect for the funky vibe of the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the best album I have heard by the Chili's. Beware though - if you prefer the Frusciante era sound, this is not the album for you. Hillel Slovak, their guitarist in the eighties, lends a huge funk influence to this album. The crisp slap sound of Flea's bass is also highly different to the softer tone of today. The best songs are 'Taste The Pain' for that lovely harmonious brass section in the middle, 'Show Me Your Soul' for the great lyrics and 'Under The Bridge' for that soulful singing and lovely guitar part. This is the best album I've bought in years! Couldn't live without it. // 10

What Hits!? Reviewed by: AlskiOverload, on june 23, 2008

Sound: Red Hot Chili Peppers are one of the most popular and most influential funk rock bands, who have really moved around different genres. This greatest hits album (well, kind of) is from the band soon before the time Frusciante left. Several tracks are with Hillel, and some with Frusciante. This album was named after bassist Flea made a comment on the tracks on the album. These songs aren't even the bands hits, and the only huge hits were Under The Bridge and Higher Ground. This really gives a chance to see some of the bands lesser known songs without buying the albums. The bands high energy funk-rap-rock hybrid is shown well here. it's covered with amazing basslines, and great funk rhythm from the guitarists. To someone new to the band, the music can take a while to get used to, but it definitely grows on you. After all, these songs weren't commercial hits, some not even singles. // 9

Lyrics: On the outside of most of the songs, the lyrics seem quite immature, and sometimes nonsensical. On the other hand, some of these songs deal with Hillels death, and much more deep songs such as Under The Bridge. The music is high energy, party kind of music, and isnt generally sad. Keidis might not have been at his best vocally, but his singing suits the music perfectly. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album is great for someone who wants to get a feel for the older Red Hot Chili Pepper music. Obviously, some of their biggest hits are their best, and nothing can compare to owning entire albums by the artist. Some of my favorite songs on this album are Higher Ground, Brothers Cup, and Johnny Kick a Hole In The Sky, since they all have a funky beat and are all catchy. There isnt much that I dislike about this album, and there also isnt a whole lot that makes this album stick out. If I was to lose this or something, I would probably go out and spend my money on buying some of their albums such as Mothers Milk, or Blood Sugar Sex Magik, but I'm just not too big of fan of greatest hits albums. // 9

Comments