Red Seas Fire review by Red Seas Fire

Red Seas Fire: Red Seas Fire

Before I start, this review is just my humble opinion, so deal with it. The sound these gents put forth is a heavy dose of djent, with some dashes of progressive metal and some wonderful melodies and synths thrown in for good measure. I'm not keen on much of a back story on this collection of music other than it took a few years to perfect and that I think it was worth the wait! Not really a sampling of new styles, more like an intelligent amalgam of preexisting elements put together in a unique way (to my ears at least). I love watching these guys play, it's awesome, so technically sound.

There isn't a printed source of lyrics for me to observe, but from what I understand (some of the more cookie-monster-esque lyrics are hard for me to decipher) it's a good bit of free-form poetry telling very broad stories in each song (if that even makes sense). I think the lyrics fit very well with the music, they don't sound forced or over thought. While the screaming isn't amazing, it fits the puzzle and isn't distasteful. The singing is solid; with wonderful melodies and great harmonies, not once off-key. A 9 because, while the lyrics I can hear are clean, I can't understand all of them.

I'd put these guys in the same building as Periphery and bands of that ilk, and these gents are equally as impressive as Misha and his cohorts. MY favorite songs on the album are Epinephrine and Skye, they seem to be epic AND show off the entire band at the same time. I love the 'relaxed' sound of it. I know metal isn't really relaxing to most folks, but sometimes you can hear the tension in a recording that just sours a great song, there isn't any of this on this album. The only thing I hate about it is that it isn't longer! I would hope that noone would steal my mp3 player, but I'd download the album again in a heartbeat (it's free on their website afterall, who woulda thunk). Love this band, hope to see them live some day, fan for life! All hail progressive metal!

Menzaine
    Was waiting for this release for ages, it did not disappoint, was a great day for British Tech-Metal!
    PatrickChampoux
    I've been waiting for this album ever since I discovered Nolly's Soundcloud and I'm very impressed by the work these guys did. The growls disapointed me a little but the cleans are awesome and the guitar work is incredible!
    soaum
    there is good and bad bands in every genres. to say any one style of music is bad is ignorant and immature
    rocket-nero
    Huge fan of the djent movement, after I was introduced to it no other genre of metal satifys me anymore, and these guys have more than represented, great album by great musicians!
    catastrofx617
    Personally, I love the djent movement, and these guys are great. I much prefer djent to what was popular in metal in the last few years, the whole Attack Attack! and Asking Alexandria popcore shit. Admittedly, some djent music is a bit same-y, relying too much on just chugging on an 8 string, but there is a lot of great music coming out of it all, like these guys.
    X DogBert X
    i agree with the whole djent movement not being the greatest thing in music but these guys are an exception, the ****ing rule. cant wait to see what they do next
    captainsnazz
    djent is kinda samey but I'm listening to this now and I have to say I am rather impressed.
    hairy-southpaw
    This whole djent thing is so overdone it's not even funny. How is it possible that an entire genre of music is based on one sound? And I thought metalcore was samey.
    Loki_37
    Horizons18 wrote: Had no idea who these guys were even when I met Nolly at Sonisphere when he filled in with Periphery. The whole idea of low chuggy guitars and a vocalist who does low growls and high cleans is already getting a bit old to me though.
    Thank God I'm not the only one.
    Strangeman86
    MyNameAreHenry wrote: I love how you say "not once off key" as if you expected that, haha. I mean c'mon, Nolly produced it, he's not gunna let an out of tune note slip in, the proof of the vocalist's true ability will be in live.
    The reference isn't to these guys, but some other bands I've heard who don't mind if somethings a smidge out of tune.
    Horizons18
    MyNameAreHenry
    Disturbed_EMG
    I also was very impressed with this. Especially when they released it free, that surprised me (pleasantly.) Epinephrine is the favourite for me, but the whole thing is very well put together.
    EpiExplorer
    Kinda meh for a djent band. Then again, that entire movement turned very meh very quickly after TesseracT released One. Its fairly different melodically speaking, shares more in common with say, Gojira than Periphery, but the metalcore cleans, Logic synths (the 'Intro' is just them ****ing around on Logic Pro) and lack of new groove ideas is kinda lost on me, bout a 6 at best. A more interesting band to check out would be Radiance, they add more traditional metal elements and classical movements coupled with more prominant electronics. http://music.radiance.fi/album/the-burni...
    Kyleisthename
    I give it a 5, The 2 songs they already had on their Facebook were good a catchy but they changed somethings which I didn't feel were for the best. The vocals really sit under everything and the clean parts feel, Well lame or half assed. It's a good record but the vocals don't really add anything for me.