Something For The Pain Review

7.4
 7.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Something For The Pain Reviewed by: Battman1993, on september 12, 2011

Sound: Mike Kasprzyk used to be Canadian rapper Kazzer, and had a hit in Canada with Pedal to the Metal. The song was used in Canadian television shows and movies. Now, Kasprzyk lives in California, simply goes by Kaz, and has a new project Redlight King. Despite the name, Redlight King is an actual band. It is made up of musicians Kaz met in California. On their debut, Something For The Pain, Kaz and his cohorts blend rap and rock. Kaz doesn't actually rap that much on this album, instead, he focuses on singing. The songs, no matter whether rapped or sung, are mostly rock. There's hard rock (Bullet In My Hand, the title track), alternative rock (Little Darlin, Comeback) and even a re-done version of Neil Young's classic Old Man (the chorus is sampled, but the lyrics in the verses are different). It is actually pretty good, and the music has substance. // 7

Lyrics: Kaz isn't your average rapper-turned-rocker. His lyrics, instead of rap bravado, focus on the various issues he has gone through. In Old Man, Kaz raps about his father, a stock-car racer in Canada. In Drivin' To Kalifornia, Kaz raps about his move from Canada to California. A lot of the lyrics are very positive and hopeful, because the album is essentially Kaz's new start. As for his vocals, Kaz isn't the best rapper alive, but his singing is strangly pleasant. // 7

Overall Impression: I bought this album on a whim while in my local Walmart last week. I fell in love with it instantly. It's not really comparable to many other bands except for Linkin Park, and even though, Redlight King is much lighter than LP. I love the rock sound, and Kaz's singing, but his rapping isn't my thing (rap isn't my thing period). I would buy it again if it were stolen/lost. // 7

Comments