Glow review by Reef

• Released: Jan 13, 1997
Reef: Glow

Reef have an upbeat and energetic sound, based around some great riffs. This album was released in 1997 when the Brit indie/rock industry was flourishing. This a great album and 'Place Your Hands' is an all time classic. The energy in this album is really good, but they aren't afraid to experiment with something slower shown in 'Consideration' which is one of the best tracks on the album. The one dissapointment is 'Robot Riff', you can see that they're trying to do soemthing a bit different, but the combination of falcetto voice and guitar doesn't quite work. Otherwise this is filled with awesome songs, 'Place Your Hands', 'Yer Old' and 'Consideration' particularly stand out.

The lyrics are quite clever and have clearly been worked at by the band. Consequently they interact with the gultars well and support Singer Gary Stringer's voice, which is shown to have a good range. His slightly gravelly voice also adds a lot to the sound. The lyrics work well in the songs and certainly there are none that I can hear of that don't fit in to the music or detract from the songs.

Overall this album is great. All the members are quality musicians, and I think this album allows each one to show their technical ability, which I think can hardly be faulted. In comparison to other bands you'll probably like this if you like Kula Shaker, Rooster, The Bends (Radiohead), and Longview. Though I would say that the singers ability marks Reef out as better than most of these (not Radiohead, they're a law unto themselves). As mentioned before the only dissapointment on here is 'robot riff', and so Glow is a much valued part of my music collection. Would definitly buy it again we're it lost or stolen.

lazymjp
    100%guitarmad
    lazymjp wrote: Glow is a great album, but for a real treat check out Reef's first album 'Replenish'. A more bluesy raw album and Stringers vocals are amazing.
    just reviewed it