Why Do They Rock So Hard? review by Reel Big Fish

• Released: Oct 20, 1998
Reel Big Fish: Why Do They Rock So Hard?

Personally, this is for me the best ska album. All Reel Big Fish's albums are great, but this is the one, the best. Some fans may not agree, saying 'Turn The Radio Off' was better with songs such as 'Sell Out' and 'Beer', but whilst these were the highlights of that album, this has a better overall standard. The sound is a great mix of catchy ska with the trumpets and offbeat ska rhythms, and rock 'n' roll, with some great guitar work on this album. Aaron Barret sure can play the guitar.

The lyrics are typical Reel Big Fish - sarcastic. But that's why it's great. Too many bands take themselves too seriously, the Fish don't. Aaron is a great singer and suits the music, and never does his voice become annoying. Plus they got this other cool singer in the background called Scott whose vocals compliment Aarons.

What gets me about this album is the overall quality. Whist 'Turn The Radio Off' had great songs, some of it really wasn't that great. But I never skip a track on this one. Best song - Down In Flames. Not to everyone's taste, but I love this song. If lost or stolen I would cry like a little baby, but I would be pretty upset.