The Shape Of Punk To Come Review

Label: Burning Heart
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.9
The Shape Of Punk To Come Reviewed by: BloodBrother, on january 14, 2004

Sound: This album is a complete 180-degree turnaround from Refused. They had released some previous albums of a more straightforward, hardcore punk style. Then, all of a sudden, this masterpiece comes along and surprises (and scares) the hell out of everyone. How to describe it? It's like someone took hardcore punk and threw it in a blender with jazz, classical, folk, and every other genre imaginable. The title comes from the title of an Ornette Coleman album, "The Shape of Jazz to Come." I've never heard anything like it and I don't think I ever will again (this band broke up after making this album). // 10

Lyrics: This band is from Sweden, which has a socialist democratic government. Thus, many of the lyrics are speaking out against oppression, racism, and capitalism. So, if you're not into that sort of thing, you might want to steer clear. But the lyrics are the sort of stuff that punk is all about, so there's nothing that could fit better. The lead vocalist, Dennis Lyxzen, moves from singing in a bittersweet falsetto to screaming like a banshee on acid. His mannerisms and inflections become familiar after just a few listens. // 10

Overall Impression: This album holds a special place in my heart because it marks my change from popular music to punk. When I first hear this album, I was a freshman in high school, trying too hard to fit in and worrying far too much about what other people thought. When the sounds on this disc passed my eardrums, I went through a transformation. Needless to say, I think it is the greatest 55 minutes of sound in the history of modern music. There aren't really any standout tracks because the album flows together as a whole so well. // 10

The Shape Of Punk To Come Reviewed by: VeloriumCamper, on may 08, 2006

Sound: Pre-"The Shape Of Punk To Come", Refused were known for their powerful political lyrics and extremely energetic straight up punk rock. With the release of this album they broke down tons of barriers and shed new light on what punk was about to become, ironically. Each song blends pounding guitars, technical elements, and other exotic instruments like flute, cello, violin, you name it. This is an album definitely worth listening to on headphones, so you can hear the true perfection of it. Each song if put together beautifully and shows you how talented these guys are. Before "The Shape Of Punk To Come", Refused kept their music to guitars, drums, bass, and very political lyrics, tackling everything from poverty to beauty. With this album they got a lot more technical, while still sticking to their roots. In the end, the sound of this album is unlike any other, and is definitely worth a 10, even without the lyrics/vocals. // 10

Lyrics: Refused definitely had some of the most controversial and well thought out lyrics to ever appear in the punk rock scene. With lyrics like "Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in" and "Steal a sentence and make a catch phrase parole for our revolution" it's hard not to take these guys seriously. Each line Dennis spews speaks the utter and complete truth about what is, or was, going on in the corporate modern world today (or back in the late '90s). The thing that makes Refused's lyrics so great is that they don't hold back. They write what they want to write, they sing what they want to sing, and most importantly they say what they want to say. If you can't respect that, I don't know what you can. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to all of their other albums, and massive amounts of EPs and Compilations, "The Shape Of Punk To Come" is definitely Refused best release of their career, and their shining achievment. My favorite tracks on the album are "The Deadly Rhythm", "Refused Party Programme", "Worms Of Senses/Faculties Of The Skull", and one of my favorite songs of all time, "New Noise". I love everything about this album, and I feel that it is one of the best albums ever put out, by any singer/artist/band. Nothing Refused did on this album I can look on in a negative way, not even remotely close. Refused were right on point when they named their album "The Shape Of Punk To Come", because with the release of this album, and later, Thursday's "Full Collapse" we have all seen as witnessess, exactly where punk went. The quality of sound and lyrics may not be up to the standards of Refused, but just being the major influence in the movement, is an honor. This album is as close to perfection as I could say. There is not many albums out there that you can listen to straight through, without skipping a track, and this is one of them. To sum up this album in one word, it would definitely be: Revolution. // 10

The Shape Of Punk To Come Reviewed by: Viciousgray, on february 19, 2007

Sound: Ask any modern rock band if they list Refused as one of their influences and they will almost always say yes. The Shape of Punk to Come is the crown achievement of the Refused, an album that they went into knowing that it would probably be their last. The "last hoorah" concept behind the album is surely what brought it to greatness. Onto how this album kicks so much ass. Firstly, the guitar work, while not technically impressive, all the guitar work is written very intelligently. The timing and staggered rhythms help what may be considered "cliched" guitar verses find new energy. When not following along with the guitar, the bass will be laying down jazz rhythms. Of special interest is the bridge in "The Deadly Rhythm". There is a classic jazz riff played on a standing double bass. While not a bass on the record, they played it on a bass live so it counts. Of special interest to me is the drum work. It is the fullest, most complex drum work I've ever heard. What sounds simple at first is actually extremely deep drum rhythms. He plays jazz rhythms, punk rhythms, everything. It's so incredible you just have to listen to it yourself. Dennis, the singer, almost entirely abandons any semblance of singing on this record. His scream punctuates all of the music perfectly. As a whole the record is great. Not one song is filler. Every single song has its own personality, a rarity among rock records. A perfect record, in my opinion. // 10

Lyrics: While I personally like singing along with screaming, the singing in this record fits perfectly fine. It allows the listener to focus on the music as well as the lyrics. The political views expressed reflect my own (probably because refused influenced them), so I find great meaning in them. it's not enough that they're well written though, so the fact that there is truckloads of attitude in there as well helps greatly. Take, for instance, the first line of the first song (excluding the intro) "I've got a bone to pick with capitalism, and a few to break!" Gloriously angry. // 9

Overall Impression: The Shape Of Punk To Come is thought by many to be a masterpiece. Songs of note are "Worms Of The Senses", "Protest song '69" and, every other song. Just get this album. I hate nothing about it, I love everything about it. It has inspired me personally and musically. I suggest to anyone who has an interest in producing good hardcore music that "Shape Of Punk" be in their CD library. // 10

The Shape Of Punk To Come Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2011

Sound: Refused's third and final album, is without a doubt one of the most influential hardcore albums in history. The Swedish hardcore outfit were disgusted with the way other hardcore/punk bands were jumping on the commercial, MTV-ish bandwagon, all for the love of getting big and getting big amounts of the cash. So Refused buckled down to write the definitive album of their careers. An album that would smite all other punk and hardcore albums and bands alike, for years to come. Ironically enough, after it's release, The Shape Of Punk To Come was universally acclaimed as an amazing, incredible, career defining album etc. from the media, fans and underground and punk scenes. earning them a place in many underground and mainstream Alternative and Hardcore Magazines and forums as a classic album. Eg: Rock Sound and Kerrang! both inducted The Shape... into their hall of fame/classic sections respectively. The albums title is a reference is adapted from Ornette Coleman's seminal album The Shape of Jazz to Come. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics and idea behind them is that punk could not sustain itself in the music scene by packaging anti-establishment and revolutionary ideals, however that IS WHERE punk originates from! The lyrics talk about capitalism ("Worms Of The Senses/Faculties Of The Skull" and "Refused' Part Program"), activism, individuality and romanticism (Title-Track). in terms of lyrics, style, direction and overall impression it is a departure from the bands earlier work and previous projects, especially with the inclusion of drum and bass moments and political interludes thrown in for good measure. // 10

Overall Impression: The vocals; the sand-paper singing to the viscous high screams. The Drums; to the jazz beats, to the bursts of punk rudiments. The guitars/bass; the fast riffs and deep insertions that give at a unique sound and expression, I LOVE IT ALL! (drumming in particular.) Standouts: Worms Of The Senses/Faculties of the Skull. Liberation Frequency. Summer Holidays VS Punk Routine. Tannhuser / Deriv. (My personal favorite)New Noise! If you buy this, make sure you get the re-issued 2010 3 CD pack, IT IS WELL WORTH IT! I consider this one of my favourite albums of all time! // 10

Comments