Apathetic review by Relient K

• Released: Nov 8, 2005
Relient K: Apathetic

The sound is somewhat similar to the tracks on Mmhmm, but it sounds like Relient K is maturing even more than they already have. It has 4 brand new songs and 3 acoustic covers. Every track on the album is really good and worth listening to. This album is carried a lot by Thiessen on the piano. It ends up working out really well. "The Truth" is the opener and it's kinda like "Who I Am Hates Who I've Been." It has a lot of the piano along with some good guitar that doesn't take your attention away from the lyrics. Apathetic Way To Be is more of an upbeat song like "High Of 75." Not too fast, not too slow, with somewhat of an emphasis on the guitar. The acoustic covers are "Be My Escape," "Which To Bury; Us Or The Hatchet?" and "Over Thinking" from their last album Two Lefts Don't Make a Right, But Three Do. Although the acoustics are a nice change of pace, it's not really what Relient K does best. But I do have to say, the new "Over Thinking" is 10 times better than the old one. "In Like A Lion" is a song that is too good for Two Lefts, but not good enough for Mmhmm. The last song "The Theif" is completely piano and is unlike anything they have done in the past.

With the exception of "Apathetic Way To Be," these lryics are not the usual Thiessen. He has really let go of his clever teenage side and gotten serious. The better songs on here focus on loss, and asking God for help. I think that some of these lyrics are better than the ones on Mmhmm.

After everyone listens to this EP, many will say "Oh man, this song should've been on the album." Wrong. These songs were either not good enough to make Mmhmm, or too good. This will be a connection between their last album, and their next. If they had put the four new songs on Mmhmm it would have had too many songs. Also the good songs would not have gotten the attention they truly deserve. Even though Mmhmm only came out a year ago, after this I'm already waiting for their next one to come out. So go out and buy this because for those who are fans, and for those who aren't, this will not dissapoint.