Five Score And Seven Years Ago review by Relient K

• Released: Mar 6, 2007
Relient K: Five Score And Seven Years Ago

The sound in this album has evolved above their previous ablums. While still maintaining their pop-punk image they have experimented with some rock styles that are easily identifiable. I wouldn't call this their best album, but as far as ound goes their sound has definately matured. Keys were used more in this album compared to the previous albums and it's a needed touch in some areas but it is borderline overused. They even experiment with a country style track with Faking My Own Suicide. As far as influences the other bands that can be identified as influences are the Chili Peppers (Devestation and Reform), Blink 182 (The Best Thing), Snow Patrol (Give), Ben Folds (Deathbed), and Angels & Airwaves (Bite My Tongue). Overall Relient K made a good album and it's very diverse, but it doesn't have that sound I've come to expect from them.

As always, Relient K's vocals have a very defining sound. Nearly the entire album is about "the girl" in some way shape or form. Usually Relient K has only included a few tracks about this subject but it is the entire subject on this album. Not that talking about relationships is a bad thing, but it is not what Relient K has typically done in the past. Other reviews have claimed that this is an obvious step of maturing for the band and I agree on this point.

I still prefer the previous albums but tracks such as Bite My Tongue and Come Right Out and Say It make this album a worthwhile buy. Their current single "Must have Done Something Right" isn't the best track on the album. I dislike how it is a major step away from their previous albums but I appreciate the experimenting with different sounds. Hopefully their next album will be a little more defined and not so focused on the cliche girl issue. Though this isn't my favorite album, I would def. buy this album again if it were lost.