Five Score And Seven Years Ago review by Relient K

• Released: Mar 6, 2007
Relient K: Five Score And Seven Years Ago

Relient K's fifth album in seven years (hence the name) is yet another stellar work of art. This record is much happier sounding than many of their previous records. Though parts of the record still echo some of the harder and darker material of Mmhmm. They seem to have grown even more fond of the complex beach boys style harmonies as well, as seen in the a'cappella opening track. as the album progresses, you come across driving, and hard hitting songs, and poppy upbeat songs as well. There is even a number with a definite country influence. The albums songs alternate between styles frequently to great effect through most of the album. The last song of the record, Deathbed, is essentialy a mini, 11 minuet rock opera from the pont of view of a dying cancer patiet, and has a strong classical influence for most of it. The lead singer, Matt Thiessen, also plays nine different instruments for this song, including a full brass choir. In all, the record is another huge step forward for the band.

As always, Relient K never fails to impress when it comes to lyrics. Witty and sarcastic as ever, many of the songs, other than the usual hard hitters, are upbeat and about love. This is a step in a new direction for the band. The lyrics always fit with the music though, and Thiessen has excellent diction, leaving the lyric booklet that came with the CD mostly unused.

Over all, this album has surpassed my expectations, which were pretty high, and has become my favorite Relient K record, and ranks with my all time favorites as well. Songs to definitley check out are Deathbed, Faking My Own Suicide, Must Have Done Something Right, and Bite My Tounge.

Learn_to_fly
    awesome album! i luv these guys, and this album rocks! i know, they aint the best, and they dont do killer solos and all that, but who cares; theyre pop! good pop as well.
    DemonHunter1904
    All right, for the Fret13 review.... I just want to say that was the most horrible 'critic' review I have ever read in my life. Not only was it the most ridiculous, but it contained more false information than any other review I have ever read. Sorry bro, but just stick to the listening, and leave your thoughts to yourself... as for goobrocker, very nice review. You kept it clean, and right on the point, and also, you seem to know your history on Relient K way more fluently than ol' Fret13. But to end off... I wasn't to impressed with this album. I just wish there was more guitar work in it, but hey, I guess all in all, you can't argue. I love Relient K's message, and who they stand for. Positive music is hard to find these days, and they do one hell of a job at it.
    deanosaurx
    score = 20. four score and 7 = 87 years ago. 5 score and 7 = 107 years. good album. love that shit
    stradivari310
    Fret13: the song about "Mr. Booth" is about the Lincoln assassination. A guy named John Wilkes Booth killed ol' Abe, and Plead the Fifth is about a witness in Booth's court case who is hiding something
    SG5533
    xhandgunxheart
    wow this person is really stupid but i love the album
    Learn_to_fly
    SG5533 wrote: I dont mean to be a jerk, i mean i luv Relient K and all, but this album was the biggest let down of the year for me.....EVERY SONG SOUNDS EXACTLY THE SAME AS EVERY OTHER SONG! .....they lack to creative grace they once had.....
    thats wat i thought at first too, but its grown on me; now its my favourite cd from them!
    fret13
    xhandgunxheart wrote: "Four Score and Seven Years Ago" part of a speech by Abraham Lincoln meaning 27 years ago (I think it was 27, I suck at history) anyways, it's "Five Score" now. The first song, Plead the Fifth, has a little story in it about a guy stepping up in a trial against a guy named Mr. Booth, who apparently committed a murder. wow this person is really stupid but i love the album
    i is sorry that i is retarded :S