Five Score And Seven Years Ago review by Relient K

• Released: Mar 6, 2007
Relient K: Five Score And Seven Years Ago

Relient K is yet another artist I found out about on the radio. I heard "Be My Escape" and "High of 75" from their previous album and decided to take a look. However, the delay was long enough to let them release another album, 'Five Score and Seven Years Ago'. This album uses a wide variety of instruments to compliment their unique sound. These instruments include, of course, guitar, bass guitar, and drums, but also piano, xylophone (I hope I spelled that right) and banjo (though I belive that's in the live version of "Faking My Own Suicide" and many others. And, of course, the Christian Punk sound that RK have established previously. Excellent job--one of the best albums of the year.

The lyrics are very good, compared to RK's earliar work. The lyrics from "I Need You" and "Devastation and Reform" are deep, meaningful, and pleading, whilst "The Best Thing" is rejoyceful. "Deathbed" is doubtlessly the best of the album, an epic telling of an old man's regrets and eventual salvation during death. Matt's singing skills are superb.

Five Score and Seven Years Ago is really an excellent album - probably the best RK record yet. The best. I can't lie - even MmHmm (2005) doesn't surpass "FSASYA". The best songs are unddoubtedly "I Need You," "Devastation and Reform," "The Best Thing," and "Deathbed." I love the diversity and sheer emotion that RK displays with this release. There isn't much that I dislike about it, other than the fact that there aren't more tracks! If it were stolen/lost/etc, I would definitely replace it. Very, very, very nicely done, RK. 9/10 for an excellent album.

LeadSalad182
    Great cd and all but when i saw them at Recher Theatre in Baltimore last fall they played like two songs off of it so don't expect much from them in the live department