Five Score And Seven Years Ago review by Relient K

• Released: Mar 6, 2007
Relient K: Five Score And Seven Years Ago

The sound on this album is great. They used many different instruments, especially in "Deathbed", and the harmony is fantastic. The guitars really brought feeling to the songs and helped shape them. The drum beats were great also, he is really good. Too bad he left. Relient K had a mix of styles in this album. Anywhere from Rock and Roll in "I Need You" to A Capella in "Pleading the Fifth (A Capella)" to a mix of things in "Deathbed." They go 60's with the bonus track cover "Sloop John B", which they did a fantastic job on.

The lyrics were very, very clever in all the songs. I even learned a new word from "Devastation and Reform": "Masochistic." I love how Matt made "Deathbed" basically an autobiography of a man's life yet had a rhyme scheme. "The Best Thing"'s lyrics really meshed with the tone of the music with a major key going. During the first song, all of the members did a great job singing their parts in A Capella. Even drummer did some drum set songs. The harmony in all the songs was great. "Come Right Out and Say It" had some great harmony in it during the chorus when they said "Say it". During the verses on "Devastation and Reform", Matt used a special microphone (which you can see on the bonus CD "Live at Capital Studios") to get his voice like that which was cool.

So far, this is my favorite album done by them. It is more mature than MMHMM and has better sound than that of albums before MMHMM. Five Score and Seven Years Ago holds the shortest and longest recorded song by Relient K, "Crayons Can Melt on Us For All I Care" and "Deathbed." They did a brilliant job on "Deathbed" recording 115 different tracks according to Wikipedia and using at least 30 different instruments including 3 different drum sets. "Must Have Done Something Right" has a great beat that you can dance to and "Give Until There's Nothing Left" and "Deathbed" are the kind of songs that you can play during a slide show. If I had to replace Five Score and Seven Years Ago, I would, without hesitation, buy it again because it's the kind of song you would want to play off a CD.

slash.r0cks
    To be honest, I didn't think this album was as good as it could have been. Sure it had some excellent songs, like Forgiven, Bite My Tongue and Up and Up, but to me it seemed to follow too much of a relationship theme. It's still a great album though and I rated 8*.