Mmhmm review by Relient K

• Released: Nov 2, 2004
Relient K: Mmhmm

This cd is like nothing I've ever heard before. The perefect blend of power chords, catchy and complex riffs, and melody. The songs range from light and melodic (High Of 75) to almost metal (Life After Death And Taxes). Each song is unique and has its own creative sound. The band also uses a lot more piano than in the previous albums but it's well played and follows the songs perfectly. Some might think that the piano is overused a bit and I agree that it wouldn't hurt to have less. Aside from the that the sound is true pop-punk at its finest.

Every song on this cd is well written and heartfelt. The funny, some may say stupid, songs like May The Horse Be With You and Gibberish Are Gone, though they haven't totally lost their sense of humor. The Only Thing Worse than Beating A Dead Horse is betting on it, just the name is reminds you its still the same Relient K. But if you actually listen to the song it goes quite deeper than the name suggests. You can tell they've gotten older and that lead singer Matt Thesien has a new girlfriend. The first song, The One I'm Waiting For, is a change of pace for Relient K beacuse they don't usually sing about romance. They still have songs about life struggles that almost everyone can relate to but this new girlfriend has brought out someting that Relient K was missing, and I thank her whoever she is.

This album totally blew the other Relient K albums away and I guess you could say they've matured. They have become way better musicians and their song writing skills have developed along with that. If anyone tells you that Relient K is just another pop-punk band this cd will prove them wrong. No other band I have heard does so much different stuff and still sounds good. The One I'm Waiting For, Be My Escape, and Who I Am Hates Who I've Been are probably the best songs on the album, but all the songs could easily become favorites. If you like New Found Glory, The Starting Line or any other band like that you need to get this cd.