The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek review by Relient K

• Released: Aug 28, 2001
Relient K: The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek

I think this CD is incredible. The guitar is fast and fun, the drumming is rad, and you can hear a lot of bass parts. There isn't as much variety as in two lefts sound-wise, but for thier second CD I still say it's amazing. I like Lion Wilson, tracks like that and Breakfast at Timpanis make this CD a pleasure to listen to. Oh, you know what, who cares if Benji Madden can play half the songs on here? So can I. Benji is not in Relient K.

I think the lyrics are great! They are catchy, clean and hilarious, I love the wacked out sense of humour. Songs like Sadie Hawkins Dance are cheerful and upbeat while Failure has a bit of a darker sound to it. There's a bunch of different types of feelings in all the songs and all sorts of moods. And yeah, Matty T's voice is a little on the high side, but it's all good. I think it's cute. and Matt Hoopes does a great job singing in Those Words Are Not Enough. My only beef is that the chorus lyrics are pretty repetetive in a lot of the songs, but the rest of the song makes up for that. an 11 on a scale of ten when it comes to creativity.

This Album is pure Relient K, and I cant really compare it to any other albums. It's not as pop-like as Two lefts, and not as deep as Mmhmm. It's more relaxed, and very original. My favourite songs would have to be Sadie Hawkins, My Way or The Highway, Failure to Excommunicate, Those Words are not Enough and Breakdown. I really like the positioning of Less is More at the end of the album, its a nice tune-down after Failure. I love the singing and the lyrics. The different moods to the songs makes it great to listen to on any occasion. The string pieces are neat (may I ask why someone would listen to a pop-punk album for string pieces) and I just think that it is an overall really great CD. When I first got it it didnt leave my CD player for 3 days, and now it holds a sacred spot in my CD case when its not I'm my discman. If somebody stole it from me, I would hunt them down and make them return it. I would never lose it, because I always have it with me when I go somewhere, but in the event it did happen, yes I would buy another one!