The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek review by Relient K

• Released: Aug 28, 2001
Relient K: The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek

Good sound. Surprisingly edgy distortion for punkish rock. I like the speed used in some of the songs. A couple have some really fast picking, almost shred quality. I'm impressed. Good songs. Surprisingly awesome overall band work. I love it! I never thought I'd hear a band like this. Surprisingly enough, from my own home state too. That just goes to show, even in this state, you can make it.

Lyrics are great. Above average, in fact. The lyrics fit quite well with the music, and the timing match with the music is unbelievable. If you want an example, listen to track #3, "Sadie Hawkins Dance", and take a close listen to the guitar and the lyrics for the chorus. The lyrics and the music jive quite well as far as timing goes, and they fit quite well otherwise.

It's some of the best punk styled music I've ever heard. You can't top this album if you're looking for clean, modern rock. Take a listen, and just see if you don't find at least a few songs that you don't like. The guitar is also surprisingly difficult to play, if you're not accustomed to speedy licks. Not many of those, but, the ones that there are are quite difficult to play.

effenvodka
    hey look! i'm posting the first comment about how freakin' awesome relient k is!
    dranstheman
    mmmskittles, you should probly listen more closely or check out a lyric sheet because: "You got to choose our side and live, or their side and die." is nowhere in the song. I dont know what you are offended at, since the entire song is about how everyone has the freedom to choose. Matt says "its your decision choose it well" numerous times in the chorus, as well as "its your decision make it the best one". as for the "If it scares you to death, may that be your lesson." quote, that is taken out of context. Here is the context in which the song is written: "Which hand holds your soul? Do you want to guess one? If it scares you to death may that be your lesson It's your decision, make it the best one" This quote is not a threat or anything offensive.