The Bird and the Bee Sides review by Relient K

• Released: Jul 1, 2008
  • Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Relient K: The Bird and the Bee Sides

Relient K being my favorite band, I had some high expectations for "The Birds and The Bee Sides." I believe that it lived up to those expectations wonderfully. This is a very interesting album as it encompasses many different sounds in the 26 track list. I enjoy the catchy, cheesy, but wonderful lyrical content that Matt Theissen and the band constantly deliver on. Personally on the this double EP album, I enjoy the more piano driven songs "There Was Another Time in My Life," and the acoustic version of the hit "Who I Am Hates Who I've Been." While they are mainly known for there punk rock influences on their earlier albums, the piano driven songs usually stick in my mind more often. If you are looking for that Old School Relient K sound however, you will not be disappointed. The more rock oriented and edgier sounding songs, as well as the softer piano and acoustic oriented songs, are represented very well by wonderful vocals by Theissen and Hoopes.

Matt Theissen has evolved well as a singer from the early years of Relient K. His range is very impressive. The vocals are also shared by Matt Hoopes, John Warne, Jon Schneck, and Ethan Luck. The entire band is musically inclined and it is shown. Warne, Schneck, and Luck also wrote the songs that they perform the vocals on. Theissen does the majority of the writing, and he is incredibly talented. He writes for many other artists and is regarded as a great songwriter. Many songs represent the same lyrical contest as the previous Relient K records.

Overall the album "The Birds and The Bee Sides" to me is a very overlooked Relient K record. In my opinion, the best of the the best are, "The Lining Is Silver," "There Was No Theif," "Curl Up and Die," "There Was Another Time in My Life," and the demo version of "Jefferson Aeroplane." Out of the 26 tracks it was very difficult to narrow it down to these 5. There may be only 3 songs total that I wouldn't rate at least a 7 out of 10. Those songs include "Beaming," "Five Iron Frenzy Is Either Dead or Dying" (both), and "A Penny Loafer Saved Is a Penny Loafer Earned." But there truly isn't anything about this album that I "hate." If the worst would happen and I would happen to lose this album, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.