Brainwash Review

artist: Remora date: 03/13/2009 category: compact discs
Remora: Brainwash
Released: 2008
Genre: Experimental/Psychedelic
Straying from the fabricated pop rock forced onto us by the mainstream, Remora focuses on realistic yet dark topics such as anger, rage and an ever popular one
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Brainwash Reviewed by: ausguitar, on march 13, 2009

Sound: I bought the album Brainwash after having been a fan of Remora for a while over myspace. They finally released a full length CD and I have to say I'm very happy with it. I found it on CDbaby, with a link from their myspace. It only cost $9.00 US, which is a pretty good deal. Once I got the CD I listened to it once, only to turn around and listen to it many more times. The band sounds like the grunge from the 90's fused with newer pop/punk sounds. One of the things I really like about this album is that you can really feel the emotion in the music, it's not just overly produced like everything on the radio now days. They have very catchy songs. Having listened to Remora recordings for the last couple years, I have definitely noticed how this album is the best stuff they've come out with. They seem to be maturing with their sound. Even though the music is usually simple, it's obvious these guys know how to play their instruments. Both guitars show off some very good solos and catchy rhythms. The drums go back and forth between being simple and perfect for keeping a beat and an all out attack on the drums with insane fills. One of the few things I don't like about the album is the production. It was self released and although it was produced by the band, I had hoped it would be a bit better. With the proper recording, I have a feeling this band could go on to big things. // 9

Lyrics: From the outside the lyrics look like they tell the standard story of teenage angst, but a closer look reveals that they really have meaning. Although simple, the lyrics really hit you and convey what the band was feeling when they wrote this song. Most of the lyrical themes have to do with real stuff. The second song on the CD "Faded Star" is about not living up to someones expectations. "Hypochondriac" is about someone who thinks they're sick, whether Bill (singer/guitar) is talking about himself, I do not know. "Leech" is obviously about someone being a mooch and taking advantage of others around them. The albums title track "Brainwash" seems to be about being brainwashed into not loving someone. The ending song "Goppy" is an acoustic song and one of the most emotional on the album. It is only Bill Scheutzow and his guitar during this song which seems to tell a sad tale of someones death, but at the same time and uplifting song about how they will eventually meet that person in an afterlife. The singing skills in this album vary. Sometimes they're quiet and emotionally sung and other times they're screaming with so much rage you can feel how angry the band is. Although not the best singer, Bill really gives it his all and shows off his powerful voice. // 7

Overall Impression: Right now I would compare this album to one of the Offspring's earlier albums, where it had more "punk rock" production, but still had very good songs. I look forward to another release by this band and I can't wait for new songs, although Brainwash will keep me good for a while. The most impressive song on this album and my favorite by far is "The Things I've Lost". It's a very catchy song and probably the most pop song on the album, but it really pulls you in with excellent guitar work. I love the raw sincerity that the music exposes from the band. If it were lost and stolen, I would definitely get this CD again. Most unsigned bands come out with burnt CD-Rs, Remora came out with a top class album. // 8

Comments