Let It Be review by The Replacements

• Released: Oct 2, 1984
The Replacements: Let It Be

The Replacements are a post-punk band from the mid-west that not a lot of people know about. They were most active in the '80s and have since disbanded. This album was their first album to gain monumental critical aclaim. The name for the album came about when they decided that their album would be named after the next song that came on the radio, well you can figure out the rest. It starts off with the confidently poppy countryish song "I Will Dare." After that the songs become your stanard punk songs. But by the time we here the fifth track we know this is not any standard punk album. The soft piano ballad "Androgynous" shows us that this band could go on to produce much more than just punk rock.

The lyrics in this album are amazing. All the songs are written by singer/song writer Paul Westerberg. His lyrics could go from angry (We're Coming Out) or compassionate (Answering Machine). You never know what to expect. The lyrics fit the music just fine. Paul's voice is gravelly and slurred at times, due to the fact that he was almost always drunk, but still fits the music like a correct size shoe.

This album is the best underground album from the '80s no question. Any other album from that era can not match this album. The most impressive songs in my opinion are "Answering Machine" and "I Will Dare" but almost every song is excellet. I hate nothing about this album everything is perfect. The production is raw enough for you to be able to tell this is an underground album without making you feel like you're listening to demos. If this album were stolen I would find the person who stole it beat the shit out of them and then go out and buy it again.

E_squared
    The Replacements are my favorite obscure band ever. Too bad they made so few records!
    Drifting182
    Good review. This is my favorite album of all time. Most of the time The Replacements' integration of many styles into their music was hit-and-miss, but here it was perfect. Their best album by far.