Let It Be review by Replacements

• Released: Oct 2, 1984
Replacements: Let It Be

Being the young person I am, I was introduced to The Replacements both from a review of this album Let It Be in Spin and also playing Rock Band 2 (yes of course). I decided to look them and got this record which I listened to many times (listening to it while writing this review). Let It Be really traverses many musicals styles and emotions from the opener "I Will Dare" to the more punkish tracks like "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out" to painful agony from "Sixteen Blue". All in all a wonderful was done and why The Replacements are not that well known is insane.

Paul Westerberg is an amazing lyricist and his talent shines in this album. Probably the best coming from "Answering Machine" which is one of the most heartbreaking songs I ever heard along with "Androgynous", a song about cross gender love done in the most loving way. But every song would not be the same without Paul laying out his voice to every word. His voice really shows on the main tracks "Androgynous", "Unsatisfied", "Sixteen Blue", and "Answering Machine".

01. I Will Dare - the opening track. really clean guitar throughout and some wonderful singing by Paul. Peter Buck (of R.E.M.) takes on the solo in the song which I love and is followed by the mandolin being introduced which gives the song even more life - 10/10 02. Favorite Thing - More of a rocker, not truly punk but the feeling is there. Took me a while to get into it but I enjoy it - 8/10 03. We're Comin' Out - A very heavy punk song that is fast for most of it until the piano break with Paul aching out "One more chance to get it all wrong/ One more time to do it all wrong/ One more night to get it half right.." before speeding up the tempo and the band comes back with Bob Stinson's sloppy but awesome solo - 10/10 04. Tommy Gets His Tomsils Out - A fun song by how its about Tommy Stinson getting his tonsils removed (as the song says) really quick too. One more puckish song before the main songs it seems. - 9/10 05. Androgynous - A piano and vocal driven song with brilliant lyrics, the chorus standing out "And they love each other so/ Androgynous/ Closer than you know, love each other so/Androgynous". Serves as a nice break from the last few songs but shows Paul's songwriting talent. - 10/10 06. Black Diamond - A KISS cover? Really? Naw, I loved this much more than the original and it was such a risky move to do in that time but it proves how much The 'Mats didn't care what everyone thought of them. 10/10 07. Unsatisfied - Mainly acoustic song with beautiful sounding chords and background slide work from Bob. Tommy and Chris fit into the song without overpowering the acoustic element. The lyrics are very simple compared to the rest of the album but does not ruin the fact Paul does a hell of a job with them. 10/10 08. Seen Your Video - For the first minute or two, I honestly was freaking out because I was thinking "is this an instrumental?" but then my troubles were set to ease when Paul comes into play. The guitar is my favorite on the album, sounding very vocal which makes this a pretty great rocker. And Bob's solos before the vocals are so awesome. - 9/10 09. Gary's Got A Boner - Another fun and silly song, ripping off "Cat Scratch Fever" enough to require giving Ted Nugent writing credit. Probably my least favorite song off the album though. - 7/10 10. Sixteen Blue - My favorite song off the album or tied with "Answering Machine". The guitar parts fit the lyrics well which are some of the most depressing here. A really dark song in my opinion. The finest moment of the song coming from Bob's solo at the end, vocal and maybe more powerful that the actual singing. It is the most hauntingly beautiful solo I heard. Sums the song up easily. - 10/10 11. Answering Machine - Another wierd moment without the rest of the band in it. But the open A guitar is pretty much all thats needed. And the answering machine recordings in the song make this even more awesome. The best lyrics of the album with a close second being "Sixteen Blue". - 10/10 Overall, I love this album and I would not be the same if I lost it.