Pilot review by Reuben

Reuben: Pilot

Pilot is the first release to come from the Surrey band Reuben. Infact, just before the album was pressed and ready for release, the band suddenly changed their name from Angel to Reuben. They decided to record this EP after they won a Battle Of The Bands contest and won 100 for doing so, which they used to fund the recording. Their sound with this debut EP is a very impressive one. They combine the sounds of bands like Nirvana, Foo Fighters, and Silverchair but make it unique and their own. For such a young band at the time this was recorded, they sound like Kings. The 5-track EP varies from a heavy sound such as the song 'Crimson' and ballads such as 'Words From Reuben' and 'Shambles'. A very varied sound which should appeal to many people.

Jamie Lenman's lyrics are very heartfelt at times in this EP, but in other places they make you just as pissed off as he is. An example of such a display in this record is in the song 'Crimson', where Jamie sings, "I'll make you sorry you ever met me." He actually writes about what you sometimes think and feel in certain stages and situations of your life, and really connects with the listener. In the song 'Alpha Signal Seven' Jamie sings the lyrics, "The blind are leading the stupid." which makes you think about what he may be singing about exactly and what kind of statement this is. Overall they are very good for such early written songs by such a young band.

Overall, for a debut EP with such little funding for recording the tracks, it is a very impressive first release. Not many other bands can create such an excellent compilation of original songs as successfully as this band can. Think of it as a younger, but much more pissed off and more metal-like version of Foo Fighters and you end up with the band Reuben. All 5 tracks of this debut are amazing in their own way, but I would say that the recommended tracks would be 'Words From Reuben', 'Crimson', and 'Death Of A Star'. The thing I love most about this EP is the quality of the songs despite the low funding it had. The bad thing is probably how short the track 'Shambles' appears to be. It's still a great track, but a little short. If it was stolen or lost then I would buy it again once I got the money. But I couldn't buy it from a record store, as it is only available from their official website online. A great buy if you want a great deal for your money.

adr11iano
    on their new EP, theres a longer version of shambles but that EP is only available at gigs (which is where i got my copy... all right!!)