Revocation review by Revocation

• Released: Aug 5, 2013
Revocation: Revocation

Many Revocation fans were floored with the amazing production quality of their 2012 EP, "Teratogenesis," and some think that they may have taken a small step backwards with there newest full-length, "Revocation." I don't think this is the case, they have simply changed their production up a little bit, to avoid sounding like this album is a continuation from the EP. It's not, it's completely different from anything they have ever done, with a notable amount of black metal influences, previously unheard back up vocals from the newest member, Brett Bamberger, and more heavy 7-string action. In fact, during their live shows, they stick to playing 7-string guitars, and they avoid the low B string if the song they are playing is older, and they don't use it. Each song on this album is unmistakably different from each other, with varying song structures, vocal arrangements, tempo/time signature changes, and remarkably memorable guitar solos, by both Davidson and Gargiulo. Being a technical death metal band, the bass has room for more distinct and intricate parts. I think Bamberger has yet to show his true talent on the 5-string bass, but every dog has their day.

The vocals on this album are unique to all other Revocation releases. This self-titled full length is the first Revocation record to not feature the maleficent screams of Anthony Buda, because Buda decided to pursue his passion in pop music. So to fill the void he left, guitarist Gargiulo and bassist Bamberger take up 50% of the vocals responsibility that singer/guitarist Davidson completes. Gargiulo does most of the vocals, besides Davidson, while Bamberger mostly comes in exclusively for group shouts and chants. The lyrics aren't as sophisticated and mind boggling as the ones Anthony Buda wrote, but Davidson and Gargiulo are certainly stepping up their game, with less gorey, less fictional, average metal lyrics, and writing more logical lyrics, with real world connections. Another first for this band, they use more vocal effects, and experiment with post-production vocal sounds, like bringing the vocals to the very front, in songs like "Scattering the Flock."

Compared to their last three albums, and last year's EP, this record is undoubtedly a step forward for the band, and distinctly different from everything that has come before. For the amount of amazing musicianship, and awesome innovation to this genre, I think this band is criminally underrated by the death metal community. Like I mentioned before, every song is different, but the level of musicianship is equally great across the entire album, including the dead-accurate rendition of Metallica's "Dyers Eve." Only thing I could complain about, is I think the album cover isn't exactly up to par with their last three full-lengths, but I'm reviewing the musical aspect of the art, and not the art itself. I bought the record on vinyl, and I believe I underpaid for it at $26.99 for a limited edition gold disc double gate-fold LP. Do you like Death Metal? Do you think all modern albums are terrible? This album will prove you wrong.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

chimaira033
    Never heard of these guys until March of last year when I saw them Open for Eluveitie and Children of Bodom. I walked away from that show as a huge fan and this album was ****ing great.
    ridinglightning
    Why was this grammar nightmare of a review published? Anyways, it's a great album despite the writing of this review.
    vulcan422
    Thanks for the criticism. I'll do better next time.
    crazysam23_Atax
    There were just a lot of run-on sentences. Your review did give a good idea of what to expect from this album.
    vulcan422
    I guess I type the way I would talk to someone. Run on sentences aren't to difficult to fix. Add some periods, take out some conjunctions. I'm doing better already!
    Animal_Farm
    seeing them with black dahlia murder in a month. i think 2 of the greateszt moderm death metal bands
    SGofawesome
    I'm not hugely familiar with the band, but I'd consider Revocation more along the sides of thrash rather than death.
    bronco23
    awesome band, been hooked since chaos of forms and Existence being my favorite.