Revenge For The Ruthless review by Revoker

• Released: May 2, 2011
Revoker: Revenge For The Ruthless

Revoker are a band that until they were signed by Roadrunner records very few outside of Wales had heard of and have taken five years since their formation to release their debut. They cite Metallica and Guns N' Roses as their influences and that really shows through on tracks like "Physcoville" and "Thief" but honestly there's no other band in the world I could properly compare them to. I think that's mainly to do with having Skindred's frontman Benji Webbe produce the album (how many other bands are put into the genre of ragga metal). Although there's no shortage of solid, pumping riffs and catchy tunes on the album I'd like to see some more complicated solos from Chris Green and unfortunately a few tracks do have a fillerish feel to them.

The lyrics themselves are not exactly groundbreaking but Jamie Mathias delivers them with such power that it scarcely matters, he go's from clean to scream at the drop of a hat and the songs sound like they were tailor made around the lyrics. "Don't Want It" for example fits the lyrics and music together so well that it doesn't matter that they're a stones throw from cliched because Jamie makes them fresh and original.

The most impressives songs from the album are "Thief", "Physcoville" and "Stay Down" (which I believe is the theme song for the martial arts show BAMMA) all of which are instant favourites and are listened to time and time again just as the entire album is. If it were stolen or lost I'd definetely buy another because I've pretty much listened to it non-stop since I got it.

RockstarAdam
    RockstarAdam wrote: Wow... nice grammar... But I see what you mean though
    and nice spelling
    M3AK
    I remember seeing them tour with soulfly right before they signed with roadrunner, I was quite impressed by them but they did not compare to Soulfly or Drive by Audio.
    I got the boot
    I wouldn't expect them to but give them time and I'm sure they'll start making a name for themselves.