The Future Sugar Review

Rey Pila: The Future Sugar
Released: Sep 25, 2015
Genre: Indie Rock, Alternative Rock
Label: Cult Records
Really just a fun album for anyone who enjoys a good quality, indie rock jam.
 8.7
 9.3
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Future Sugar Reviewed by: JoshElliott27, on may 25, 2016

Sound: These guys are a great rock band from Mexico City, but have abandoned their previous Spanish driven lyrics with a more indie/alternative sound and great English lyrics. The transition seemed almost, if not completely effortless second of it! The lead singer, Diego, has great range and is able to emulate all kinds of emotions though his catchy hooks. "Fire Away," the album's opener, is incredibly catchy and incredibly simple; setting up the entire album. The album is only 9 tracks, and so its meant to be played on repeat. The final song, "What A Nice Surprise" is well crafted, with a use of key changes in the chorus creates a memorable ending to a near perfect album. The end of the song feeds into the opening keyboard riff from "Fire Away" almost instantly, which is great. Really just a fun album for anyone who enjoys a good quality, indie rock jam. // 9

Lyrics: Diego is a Mexico City born rock band singer, who has the ability to write great songs in his native and secondary language. Most of the lyrics are very simple, but do paint a picture which matches the music seamlessly. Songs like "Alexander" or "Surveillance Camera" do a great job of using minimal but effective phrases to illustrate the song in your brain, long after you've last listened to it.

I found he e sounds similar to Bowie the first few times i listened, but i began to just recognize Diego voice. I do hear a lot of influences in the writing style, because it seems so fluid. Every song has exactly what it needs, all in the right places. The song structure, varies largely from song to song. They certainly do not follow the same generic chord progressions or song structure and some other; rather boring, indie rock that comes out. The songs are as short, or as long as they need to be; but nothing really exceeding 4:00 mark, which is nice. They could explore longer, in depth song writing, potentially another time, but that's not necessary for this album. Each song is to the point, and delivers in essentially every way one would hope for.

// 9

Overall Impression: Rey Pila were signed to Cult Records in 2013 and released "The Future Sugar" 2 years later. Under Cult Records they got to work with Julian Casablancas, and he actually helped produce a couple of their songs. If anyone is a fan of Julian Casablancas' work, than they will definitely hear the influence in their songs; namely "Order Police," "What a Nice Surprise" and "Fire Away." The fact that the album is only 9 songs makes it a great album for constant repeat listens. The quality behind each song is impeccable. There's a certain emotion that goes behind each song, and it's emulated to perfection.

Post note.
I let my friend borrow my CD, and he liked it so I had to buy myself another one. I did. I also purchased the album on iTunes, because it's a great album. // 10

Comments