The Cold Embrace Of Fear - A Dark Romantic Symphony review by Rhapsody of Fire

• Released: Oct 15, 2010
Rhapsody of Fire: The Cold Embrace Of Fear - A Dark Romantic Symphony

By the time The Frozen Tears of Angels got released, some people started complaining about slight little details such as the small quantity of narratives, while others were whining over the lack of a major musical theme from the introduction as a finishing repetitive touch used during the last compositions as a final frame in order to enfold the entire material within a solid consecutive cycle. Well, the new EP, called The Cold Embrace of Fear A Dark Romantic Symphony, has many of those in abundance. From another point of view, its intention is to just push the initial storyline a little bit further so I wouldn't complain, having in mind that Rhapsody of Fire seem to achieve their goal remarkably well in such a short term. The real songs are three, meaning not over 25 min. of music.

Namely because of the plot dynamics, bound together with a highly qualitative composed structures, the first introductions and the 15-minutes long epos in the face of The Ancient Fires of Har-Kuun hint a lot on The Mystic Prophecy of the Demonknight from Triumph or Agony through their general completion and natural development. The progressive touch from the beginning shines out several times through the entire length of the composition as a fellow-companion walking side by side to the outstanding melodious bridges and choruses (featuring parts of the lyrics in Italian), along with an incredible level of perfectionism in the strictly concentrated choirs, orchestrations and maybe the most beautiful main theme written by the band and entwined into the final curtain calls. Neve Rosso Sangue is a gentle acoustic ballad, this time performed in its entirety in the band's own language as a distant tribute to Danza Di Fuoco E Ghiaccio from the actual album, but still a long way off from its cheerfully medieval spirit. Another thing worth mentioning is that the multilayered vocal lines used at the end of the track do a beautiful job before giving way to Erian's Lost Secrets the shortest song of them all. Yet short as it is, it mixes at one place music as if taken out from the best of Rhapsody (not speaking of repetitions) in less than just five minutes. A slight flavor of Eric Adams in Fabio's screams, a vague Manowar-inspired riffing basis, renewed portion of magnificent choruses crowned by the very same recognizable choral melody, fading under the powerful voice of sir Christopher Lee.

And there you have it, the perfect formula for a film score mini-masterpiece! Just in case somebody missed the big picture, I guess I'll stress on the inevitable truth once more Luca Turilli is a genius without an analogue, no matter if we're talking playing or general compositional approach. The fact that Fabio Lione doesn't have a vocal rival amongst human beings is even more than just obvious, so I'll spare you that one.

krvolok
    I hope Blind Guardian isn't in that group.
    tacobellman2007
    Whoaaa this is so weird cuz just yesterday one of my friends had me listen to Dawn of Victory by these guys yesterday during lunch and I thought that the song was pretty cool, especially the intro.
    The\m/
    Ouch Rhapsody of fire. As for those saying "power metal is barely a sub-genre" or "it's not serious music" etc.....I lol at you.
    Echoplex
    jammyninja wrote: Its a crude, childish image - one that appeals to Pantera fans and people who are really starting to get into Opeth Even the lol epic xD market has started to ignore it since Dragonforce stepped back from the limelight! Cynical, elitist....but hilarious.
    When did Opeth become pseudo-intellectual? They've always been pretentious, but still...
    KoGg3
    If you thought of this album more as a Christopher Lee album, with music from Rhapsody of Fire, it's perfect.
    EpiExplorer
    Dynamight wrote: This seems to fall under the Power Metal subgenre too neatly to be any good.
    Power Metal is hardly a subgenre.
    TV-Casualty
    joe295159 wrote: You guys are ****ing idiots. Rhapsody have so much talent. Yeah, the lyrics are cheesy as hell but this is power metal, what did you expect? Anyways, the guitarist is ****ing great, the singer can sing (unlike most singers in the musical scene right now) and their composition skill are really high. You might not like the sound but only someone with no musical knowledge would say that they are objectively bad. Those guys are really good at what they do. Most power metal bands are a joke compared to them.
    lol he mad
    joe295159
    EpiExplorer
    bassthunder wrote: reaping the cheese I aim to use this phrase in every conversation I'm a part of from now on.
    Same. But be too dont mean to power metal, its fun because its camp. Look no further than Pagans Mind's cover of 'Hallo Spaceboy'..
    buckethead_jr
    *does not appreciate all the Rhapsody hate here* Not listened to it yet, just picked it up today, but the album cover is cool.
    padlockband
    There is definitely less "good sounding" music in this album than any Metallica album I've come across...
    jpnyc
    I love that nerdy jokes have become inevitable in reviews of Rhapsodys albums. I think theyre terrible, but I have to give them credit for trying. They could obviously make more money as studio musicians or soundtrack composers, but instead they just keep serving up more of this schlock.
    bassthunder
    reaping the cheese
    I aim to use this phrase in every conversation I'm a part of from now on.
    swordsofplague