Liverpool 8 review by Ringo Starr

• Released: Jan 15, 2007
Ringo Starr: Liverpool 8

Each of The Beatles have lovingly been given their own title over the years -- Paul being the cute, loveable Beatle; John taking on the smart role; George was the quiet one; and then there was Ringo Starr. While he was never the songwriting powerhouse that John, Paul, or George was, Starr has always bee considered the fun or lighthearted Beatle, and his latest solo release actually does justice to that persona. Sure, he's been teased about being the odd-man-out among The Beatles, but Starr continues to be prolific and comes across as incredibly likeable and good-natured on new his mellow rock release Liverpool 8. The album is actually Starr's first release on EMI since he left in 1975, and apparently some drama occurred over the production during the recording sessions. Producer Mark Hudson only stayed for part of the process for whatever reason (some claim it was over a disagreement about synthesizer parts while Ringo says it was just a matter of trust and respect), and Dave Stewart of Eurythmics' fame entered the picture afterward. Regardless of which producer had the biggest hand in Liverpool 8, it's surprisingly solid across the board. Starr's delivery is a unique one and might not click with younger audiences, but the songs are well-written and will probably have you humming after the first listen. Starr wastes no time in churning out the nostalgia with his opening track Liverpool 8, in which he reminisces about his days with his former bandmates. It's a quirky, simplistic number that puts on no pretenses. Liverpool 8 is not a work of genius, but it's charming and engaging because of the colorful lyrics featured in the song. Give It A Try is a track that follows the same lighthearted mentality as the opener, but there's a bit more depth the rest of the record. Some might be wondering if Liverpool 8 ever sounds like The Beatles, and there are definitely glimpses of Starr's past that do emerge. For Love feels straight off of a John Lennon solo album, and although the chorus is a little poppy, it does have some great moments. A few other songs have their Beatles' moments as well, but in general the album covers a lot more ground -- from blues in Think About You to a trippy, experimental vibe in Give It A Try.

While there are a lot of songs about the usual topics like For Love and Give It A Try (also about love), some unique gems are among the bunch. Liverpool 8 is an autobiographical look at Starr's life, covering everything from his days as a sailor to his concerts with The Beatles. There is a lot of originality and fun in that one song alone, and Starr does a pretty good job at keeping the rest of the lyrical content from getting stale.

Will Ringo's latest offering be something that younger audiences automatically gravitate toward? Well, no, but that's probably not the audience he's writing for anyway. For as one-dimensional as some of us might assume Starr is, he does his best to prove us wrong by writing everything from Spanish ballads to some pretty bluesy numbers. While he may still never be compared to John or Paul, he certainly proves himself to be a capable songwriter on Liverpool 8.

LECARTER2
    I always thought that Ringo recorded three good songs and two of those were written by George Harrison. So it was with serious doubt I listened to the new album...It's GREAT! Seriously, no joke. It has slow moments where your attention drifts but is full of brilliant moments that draw you back and through out there is a hint of beatle-ness. I get a chuckle at the drummer's pun,"I always followed my heart, and I never missed a beat." {wink wink nudge nudge} There are a couple songs you can almost swear are Lennon tunes and the title track ends in a shout along that would make the ultimate Liverpool stadium rocker. Lets all shout "Liverpool" and say WELL DONE RINGO!
    kingurth
    Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. :-P I was watching some show the other day and some guy was showing off like a family heirloom or something, and he said "This was made in 1947, so it's almost 50 years old now."
    sidewaydriver
    It's a little known fact that the Beatles reunited as a band in 1978 for only five minutes. During these five minutes, they neither played nor wrote any music and afterwards were unclear of what the point of the reunion was. That explains the 30 year remark.
    kingurth
    I'm confused at the "almost 30 years" line--hasn't it been well over 30 years since the Beatles broke up? About 37 if I'm not mistaken.
    Dead_End
    D0c7oR 8oB wrote: i thought the only beatle that was still alive was mcartney...
    soo many people are gonna flame you for admitting that -_- but thats okay, i know some older people that love the beatles as much as i do and they thought he was dead for some reason, i guess you sorta have to follow the news on musicians to know =/
    WhereArtEsteban
    Regular_Guy wrote: oh poe poe wrote: GetBack wrote: Ringo's not even the best drummer in the Beatles lennon said that.. didnt he? it was one of the smart-a$$ things he said Yeah, it was his sense of humor. He said many times afterwards that he regretted saying that though. When you listen to Ringo's drumming vs Paul's, Paul's is actually a little more fluid, but Ringo's is a lot more creative and fun to listen to.
    This guys right. Paul played on "Back in the USSR".
    Regular_Guy
    TheSilverBeatle
    Although its a little poppy? The Beatles were a pop band...
    Battery Chicken
    I'd be willing to give it a listen, Ringo is a great bloke but i've never considered his song writing on par with John, George or Paul. Still I'd be ecstatic if he proved me wrong.
    perilouspete
    even if you didn't know that.....why on earth would you admit something so stupid. only fascists and life-sentenced convicts don't know that ringo starr is alive. now, in this case, i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but don't make that mistake again.
    AnoKid09
    raiseth thy flameshield..
    LeeVanReef
    yeah poor guy .... half of capitol records sales come from Beatle albums..... pretty impressive still, rock on Ringo !!
    oh poe poe
    GetBack wrote: Ringo's not even the best drummer in the Beatles
    lennon said that.. didnt he? it was one of the smart-a$$ things he said
    Regular_Guy
    ^lol Ringo Starr with a good solo album, huh? I'll believe it when I see it (or hear it, rather).
    flea878
    I wouldn't say he took a beating, but yea he did seem to be a little bit undermined and patronised. Still, it'll be interesting to see how it sounds. If its half as good as lennon, and twice as good as mcartney, then i'll be happy.
    White Devil
    looks good, Starr took a bit of a beating in that review if you ask me though lol
    mercurymay
    btw it's not almost 30 years, it's almost 40 years. let it be was released in 1970... that's 38 years ago. good job, ug.
    Mistermark
    The song "Liverpool 8" is an embarrassment to everyone from liverpool. What, we're all supposed to like it coz its Ringo, and its got liverpool in the title? The lyrics are child-like and he's just struggling to make a rhyme. Why we couldnt get a REAL celeb to open the ceremony i dont know. Like Kenn Dodd or Paul McCartney or even the guy that cleans the toilets in Lime Street Station! Im a scouser born and bred but Ringo hasnt even lived here 30 years, doesnt know his way round the city.