Ringo 2012 review by Ringo Starr

• Released: Jan 30, 2012
Ringo Starr: Ringo 2012

Well, first off, let me say that Ringo will always sound uniquely like Ringo. That means, if you have ever heard any of his albums, there's not going to be anything that's all brand new. Exactly what you expect is what you get: Semiserious Light Rock, that almost seems comical at times, but still manages to be enjoyable for longtime fans and laden with wishes of peace and love to all the world. Well, I honestly never thought he would ever record anything again, so, I'm not entirely sure what else I can say. No big amazing success story behind the creation of the album.

The lyrics are much better than any songs he's released since around ten years after Ringo's solo debut album and I can speak the truth, when I say that I have no idea who his backing band is, but I can care that they are a part of the music equally as much as the legendary ex-Beatle. Even the odd cover of a Buddy Holly tune feels justified in its place. Ringo's vocal skills are no more than usual, but I'm kind of amazed he manages to sing at the same tone forty-five years from "Yellow Submarine," so, that earns top mark in my opinion.

Like I said, best Ringo Starr album in thirty years. I do not know what else can be said, but on the downside, I hoped it would have more tracks and I think there could have been a better arrangement of the tracks that are there. But even with that, the overall strength of the backing musicians and the fact that Ringo didn't try to do anything super strange, like Paul McCartney's gig with Nirvana, still makes this one a winner. It's not perfect, but nothing really is and well, if you enjoy any of the other stuff put out by Starr, you'd probably like this.