Appeal to Reason review by Rise Against

• Released: Oct 7, 2008
Rise Against: Appeal to Reason

The sound of the album seems to be pretty good. Sometimes I feel like the distortion "fuzz" over fills a bit, but I guess it adds to the overall impression on the songs. It seems like the album is based around war, poverty, the world crashing. Then kind of apacolypse that everyone keeps talking about that we're digging ourselves into. But there is light such as in "Long Forgotten Sons" talking about how there are still people out there that can help and want to help, but soceity is too busy mourning themselves to care. They artists seemed to improve the bass line on the album. But as stated before in a pervious review, not as much screaming. I don't know if you're one that doesn't like the screaming, but I know I do. And yeah personally I miss it a bit, but the songs still came out great.

The lyrics I beleive are amazing. The song "From Heads Unworthy" starts out with (after the first few lines) "Love Lost, Like a Bullets Path, Tear through the cavity of my chest, Lights out, Because the fuse has blown" to me those are a great couple of lines. it's not completely straight forward, but it's still got all the hints to the message the song has. Good lyrics shouldn't be straight forward, but not so far out that no one can figure out what they mean. Tim's singing skillz are great, would like a bit more screaming, but listening to some of the songs, I don't know exactly where you could fit it in really...

My personal favorite album right now is this one, but recent albums I've liked such as "Death Magnetic" which people often disagree on, I believe this album stacks up quite well to that. I also liked "Scream, Aim, Fire" and this album is great, but still I believe that "Appeal to Reason" beat it out. My Favorite songs from the album are "Collapse", "Re-Education (Through Labor)", "From Heads Unworthy", "Kotov Syndrome", and "The Dirt Whispered". It seems like most of the album and it is. I love how all the songs have a message behind them and I've been obsessed with this album for the past few weeks. The guitar has it's own little riffs, and personally I've gone through each song and listened to each part, and I pick up everything now, and it's all pieced together very well. If it were lost/stolen I'd replace it as many times as needed. (but I'd also be smart and upload them on to my iPod *evil laugh*) Yeah amazing album, great lyrics, needs more screaming!