Revolutions Per Minute review by Rise Against

• Released: Apr 8, 2003
Rise Against: Revolutions Per Minute

Ah, Revolutions Per Minute. The best album from one of the best current punk/hardcore bands. This album has a legendary status with most people, and everyone I know who has heard it loves it. I'll review each song seperately. 01. Black Masks And Gasoline - melodic, heavyish, and political-what more can you ask for? 9/10. 02. Heaven Knows - decent verses with an incredibly catchy chorus-9. 5/10. 03. Dead Ringer- mostly screaming, but very catchy and intense for the whole minute and a half it lasts. 10/10. 04. Halfway There - my least favorite track, it's okay but it takes too long to really get started. 8/10. 05. Like The Angel - beautiful and melodic song that always leaves you in a good mood; quieter than most of the songs; features the world's best guitar solo IMO. 10/10. 06. Voices Off Camera - my favorite track; very fast and punky; I love the second chorus' background vocals. 11/10. 07. Blood Red, White And Blue - slightly amgrier than the other political songs, but also more upbeat sounding and punkier. 10/10. 08. Broken English - great, sing-along chorus, but I hate the second verse; great guitar work and another incredible solo. 9/10. 09. Last Chance Blueprint - fastest song, with a great beginning. 9/10. 10. To The Core - another all-screaming song, but this one is really fast and intense. 10/10. 11. Torches - the definition of Rise Against's signature melodic hardcore; great guitar work and a great third verse. 10.5/10. 12. Amber Changing - decent but not too memorable; good ending. 8.5/10. 13. [Secret Track] - I won't spoil the surprise by telling you what song this is, but it is not a song that I ever pictured RA doing a cover of; nevertheless, a great cover. 10/10.

Rise Against's lyrics cannot be compared with those of any band I know. The political songs are rational and not just "I hate the system." They really make you think. However, I'm not crazy about the whole "we must revolt" theme of this album. Tim's raspy voice is great in the heavy songs, and he proves that he can even sing mellower songs like "Like the Angel."

Overall, this album deserves its legendary status. It's extremely punky and catchy. It's only their best album by a slim margin; all three of their albums are incredible. If you like punk and/or politics, you'll love Rise Against!