Siren Song of the Counter Culture review by Rise Against

• Released: Aug 10, 2004
Rise Against: Siren Song of the Counter Culture

I was very pleasantly surprised with this CD. I first heard Rise Against in a commercial with a snippet of "Give It All." I downloaded the song, and liked it so much that I bought the CD. I'll review each song seperately. The only problem with the sound as a whole is that sometimes the guitars aren't quite loud enough. 01. State Of The Union - angry, all screaming attack on the governement and its policies. Short, but it drags on for about 30 seconds in the middle - 8/10. 02. The Fist Drop - great shorter song that really shows the true style of Rise Against. Great chorus - 10/10. 03. Life Less Frightening - my second favorite song on the album. Fast, emotional, and pure hardcore - 10/10. 04. Paper Wings - slightly punky, with good verses and chorus but nothing exceptional - 9/10. 05. Blood To Bleed - emotional love song that is pretty standard Rise Against, but with a really good chorus - 9/10. 06. To Them These Streets Belong - my favorite song on the CD. Slowish beginning with a fast and breathtaking middle part, followed by the same beginning but with more emotion. Very punky - 11/10. 07. Tip The Scales - anthemic track with a "get up and do something with your life" attitude. Very lively and hard - 10/10. 08. Anywhere But Here - my second least favorite song. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just pretty generic Rise Against. Nothing special - 8/10. 09. Give It All - great, powerful track. Very hard, mostly screaming, but with a melodic chorus - 10/10. 10. Dancing For Rain - my least favorite track. It would be pretty catchy, but the chorus suffers from a lack of louder music and background singers - 7.5/10. 11. Swing Life Away - decent acoustic song, the chorus is great, but in the verses the singer goes too fast for the music and sings a little off key - 8.5/10. 12. Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated - fantastic end, the most beautiful and melodic song on the CD - 10/10.

Lyrics are Rise Against's strong point. There is a lot of lyrial diversity on Siren Song. On a few songs, like "State Of The Union," "The First Drop," "Life Less Frightening," "To Them These Streets Belong," and "Tip the Scales" the lyrics are obviously politically enraged. Other songs, like "Paper Wings," "Blood To Bleed," and "Anywhere But Here" are love/breakup songs. "Swing Life Away" is a mellow ballad, "Rumors..." is about how life is scarier than death, and I have no idea what "Dancing For Rain" is about (apparently a drought, but it may be symbolic). You can't go wrong with lines like "Thewonds: power death and distorted truth/Are read between the lines of red white and blue" and "when I die/will they remember not/what I did/or what I haven't done/It's not the end/that I fear with each breath/It's life that scares me to death!" The lead singer's voice is very raspy and he tends to scream rather than sing, but it usually goes well with the music.

Overall, this CD is probably my favorite of all time. I actually find it to be kind of similar to Taking Back Sunday. If you like them, you'll love Rise Against. If it were lost, I'd not only buy it again but also Rise Against's 1st two CDs, which I can't wait to hear.