Siren Song of the Counter Culture review by Rise Against

• Released: Mar 28, 2005
Rise Against: Siren Song of the Counter Culture

Rise Against has a wonderful sound, comprised of hardcore punk influences, as well as an alternative, even pop-punk touch. This is a very politically-centered album, and the anti-bush edge shines through in songs like "State Of The Union," "The First Drop," and "Give It All." Rise Against is one of those bands that is tough to compare to other artists, because they have developed a sound all their own, and to truly get a feel for their passion and energy, you must actually listen to their music.

The lyrics are well thought-out and generally very well written. He alternates well between deeply passionate anger, and more lightweight, "lost-love" type lyrics. They fit very well with all the songs, and the lead singer has an amazing voice, as well as an amazing scream. His scream is almost melodic, so that he can be screaming, but it still has a tone to it, which I feel adds alot to the music.

Compared to some other similar-style albums I own, this one is way up there in my favorites. It's a good demonstration of Rise Against's skill on their instruments, as well as excellent songwriting skills. This is one of those CD's where there is really no bad songs. They are all very good, and I can just put it on, and let it play. I would reccomend this CD to any type of punk fan, and I also reccoment picking up some of their other albums. If lost, I would definitely buy it again.