Siren Song of the Counter Culture review by Rise Against

• Released: Mar 28, 2005
Rise Against: Siren Song of the Counter Culture

The music simply couldn't be better. Rise Against have found away to keep punk alive with the music on this album. The uptempo speed, the great drums, and the in-your-face style altogether are simply great. Every song progresses differently, as well. It's not easy to confuse one song for another, as might be done with other albums out there today. This is not "filler." This is a great piece of work.

The lyrics are great. Tim is sometimes a little bit hard to understand due to the rasp in his voice, but this is easily overlooked. He does a fantastic job of communicating his message to the world. His singing style couldn't compliment the music more. Tim is a fantastic singer, but he very rarely sings. He is more prone to power-shout, which is a little bit harsh if this is your first experience with Rise Against. However, once you get used to it, he's amazing.

In my opinion, this is one of the best CDs of the last decade. The opening track, "State of the Union", kicks things off by basically just getting one thing straight before a word is spoken: We're about to scream in your face. Get over it. To Them These Streets Belong is a fantastic track that has more than one level of lyrical depth to it. Give It All is the same way, and everything is rounded off with Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated. The only thing I don't care for about this CD is that Swing Life Away, the only song of its kind on the album, got released as a single, so people may buy this CD for the wrong reasons. If somebody stole this, I would personally see to it that they were beaten down by the mafia, then I'd by him a copy, for, as somebody said about a different album, even a dirty thief can't go without this.