Siren Song of the Counter Culture review by Rise Against

• Released: Aug 10, 2004
Rise Against: Siren Song of the Counter Culture

I hadn't paid much attention to Rise against before this. Sure, I haerd them on a warped tour compilation here, a rock against bush album there. Then I heard the two singles and had to buy it. Most albums let you down and the best songs are the two singles you are sick of already. This is not one of those records. this is an amazing band and an amazing album. Track 1: an awesome hardcore, no, metal political song. Best song on album. But here's the thing: it all rocks. The music is great, interesting, can be hard hitting or beautiful. This truly is beautiful hardcore. It is still hardcore, don't worry. The only bad part is the annoying intro on Paper Wings, it gets better tho.

The singer is amazing. The best rock vocalist I have ever heard. He can totally rock the screamer stuff but also sings beautifully on Swing Life Away. He can also do both. Listen to the feeling in his voice on track 3 "Suffering from something we're not sure of." The lyrics are awesome. They talk of love, life, protest, and politics. A lot of people think they are just a political band, not true. State Of The Union is the only political song, really kind of. So even if you support Bush, I still encourage you fascist whore. The only weak lyrics are on track 8, anywhere but here.

If you like pop punk, buy this album. If you like emo, buy this album. If you like classic punk, indie rock, any rock, or polka, buy this album. Most albums are a waist of money. No matter how much you pay, it will be worth it.