Siren Song of the Counter Culture review by Rise Against

• Released: Aug 10, 2004
Rise Against: Siren Song of the Counter Culture

Ok, to start this review, I have an advice to give you when listening to this Rise Against album: catch up. This album is simply fast. And when I mean fast, I mean fast. Except for the very well played and sang 'Swing Life Away' on the acoustics, everything else is simply played in a fast pace, probably two snare drum beats per second for some of the songs. Songs start and end well. Good, simple intros for some of the songs. And none of these songs end in that fading fashion, where the song keeps playing until it simply fades, which I know is a peeve against many fans like the Rise Against fans. All the guys played their instruments well, with good solos and bridges effectively played in some songs. The most important factor to the speed of the album is 'Swing Life Away'. The band's acoustic song in this album, it is the second to the last song in the track. I'll explain in the Lyrics section why this helps.

Rise Against can well express what they want to say. Their vocalist, Tim, has this kind of a scratched up voice that actually helps in the portrayal of the song's message. The lyrics are well written, with most of them expressing hate against certain political topics. Ok, like I said, I'll explain the Swing Life Away effect to the album. It's a melancholic acoustic song about one's view of life, so it seems effective and fitting to put this song right before a song about death, 'Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated'.

If you are an avid fan of fast songs, get this album. This is worth the buy, and I was lucky to get this for $9.99, because we all know the good CDs costs from $15 on. Overall, this is a good buy. The music is worth it, and for many fans out there, the message is worth it.