Siren Song of the Counter Culture review by Rise Against

• Released: Mar 28, 2005
Rise Against: Siren Song of the Counter Culture

With Rise Against coming out with a new album soon I decided to give SSCC another listen. I think that this is one of my favorite, if not best sounding CDs in my collection. I love every song on the CD except for maybe the first drop. Tim plays some guitar on this album changing it up from RPM but it really added alout to the music without taking alot from his vocals. this is definently one of the few CDs I have that I can listen to entirely through, without skipping a track.

Politcally driven fast punk, post hardcore lyrics is what really stood out on this album I think. Instrumentally they were good but this CD was all about the lyrics and Tims beautiful voice. He can sing you to sleep, but then wake you up and make you want to mosh with his scream. He has a wide range of vocal abilities, listen to State Of The Union and then listen to Swing Life Away, it's amazing to hear the differences. His voice definently improved this album, it might be recording quality or he may have just practiced but whatever he did worked wonderfully and I look forward to the new album.

Okay I'm going to break this down to the Instruments and members in the band and tell you how I think they did. Brandon (drums) - probably the most underated drummer in punk music today, he delivers his best performance in this album. Joe (bass) - amazing musician, he chords alot, which adds something different to the music and thats what I'm always excited to listen to, something orignal. Chris (guitar) - awesome guitarist, he really showcased his talent this album and threw down some insane riffts that added so much to their new sound. Tim (vocals) - his lyrics, singing abilities, screaming abilities, and stage presence(if you go see him live) are at the peak of his career. He hasnt done such a good job with any other band hes been in. I hope they can live up to the hype of their new album.

octopig
    Well no offense to the guy on the top of the page with like the first review who absolutely loved "swing life away". It was a great song an all but one of my least faves on the cd. personaly I have to say my fave song has to be "state of the union
    Fascism is Fun!
    I like how someone copied an iTunes review. Look at the brief synopsis at the top of this page - it is a direct quote from iTunes
    Kiotaka
    OMG! This is probably the best punk album I have ever heard! I just got this CD and it's one of the best I've heard. My favs are paper wings and Dancing for rain. Yep, kick ass album for sure!