The Sufferer & the Witness review by Rise Against

• Released: Jul 28, 2006
Rise Against: The Sufferer & the Witness

The CD itself is something to behold. I hear all three of their previous albums in it. From the intro-slides of "The Unraveling", to the statement makers from "Revolutions Per Minute" and the anthems of "Siren Song Of The Counter Culture", it's all here and executed flawlessly. The CD has a political side, and a relationship side. They blend well. 01. Chamber The Cartridge - a solid song. A decent opener. It doesn't leave a memorable mark on me, but I like it. 02. Injection - here we go. From the get go of the song, you know you're in for something. A very strong song overall that doesn't try to break it's boundries. Odd to say it, but I feel the old Offspring vibe in this song. Very solid. 03. Ready To Fall - RA's first single and wow, it's a stunner. With lyrics that make you wish you wrote them, and a catchy chorus, it's all a single should be. I personally love it, still not my favorite though. 04. Bricks - old schoool! The intro reminds you that this is a punk band at heart. Very short, but very sweet. 05. Under The Knife - anthemish but doesn't succeed in creating the effect you get from songs on other albums such as "Give It All". Kick-ass intro though. 06. Prayer Of The Refugee - another great intro. A very melancholy feel throughout. 07. Drones - a song with a meaning. On first listen I thought the song was only so-so. About 20x later, it has grown on me. It feels like RPM. Very, very good. 08. The Approaching Curve - experimental! It's basically a poem with a chorus and a bridge. The song touches me though. Killer lyrics. 09. Worth Dyin For - one word: political. A perfect follow-through following "The Approaching Curve". Sounds like a mix between all three albums in one song. 10. Behind Closed Doors - this song just doesn't seem to get through to me. I see the meaning, but I don't feel the song. 11. Roadside - I expected something similiar due to "Swing Life Away"'s popularity but not like this. And you know what? I'm glad. This made my jaw drop the first time I heard it. A haunting chorus, violin, a raw emotion in Tim's voice, and a female vocalist! Kickass lyrics too. Different sound but I love it. 12. The Good Left Undone - my favorite from the album. This is Rise Against at its finest. This is an anthem to the core exectuted beautifully. The lyrics are simply mind blowing and they couldn't fit any better with the instrumentals. Even if you don't like Rise Against, I guarantee you will like this song. 13. Survive - my original favorite from the CD. It's the only reason the cd has a parental advisory on it. The best intro I've heard in a long while (although it's on the end of The Good Left Undone). Great sound, great lyrics, and it is the way to end the CD.

If you know Rise Against, you know that the lyrics are phenomenal. This CD is no exception. Anthems, politics, love, hate, it's all here. And what's even better is that it all fits with the music. If I could give above a 10, I would.

This is the soundtrack of my summer! I've bought a ton of CDs in the past week, and this is the only one that has not left my player yet. This is coming from a guy where everything gets old and repetitive fast. It's just that good. My personal favorite from the CD are: Injection, Ready To Fall, The Approaching Curve, Roadside, The Good Left Undone, and Survive. I love everything about this album. If it were lost/stolen, I'd find the bastard that stole it, get it back, and then buy him a copy. Pick this CD up. You will not regret it.